Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Monday, July 22, 2013

I Think I Will Move To Australia.

I'm having Alexander's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.  Ugh.  I am so over today!  I got called this morning around 5:30am for an 11:00am Washington DC turn.  A DC turn from JFK is about a 35 minute flight, so this turn should have taken maximum 2 1/2 hours...start to finish.  (Nevermind the fact that I appreciate the 5 hour heads up...but crew scheduling couldn't have just let me sleep in til 7???)

I arrived at the airport like a good reserve FA at 10 am for my sign in which is always one hour prior to departure time.  The flights delayed until 12.  I go down to the crew room and luckily I score a recliner and try to take a quick nap, setting my alarm in time to get up.  Delayed til 12:30.  Delayed til 1.  Delayed til 1:18.  Delayed til 1:44.  Delayed til 2:05.  

I should have already been home by now.  

Finally the plane arrives due to a staffing issue they had in Columbus this morning, which is where the plane was coming from.  I quickly try and grab a bite to eat....some soup that I have had in my bag for forever-because heaven forbid I pay for overpriced airport food.  I spill the soup down my shirt (thanks granny for that lovely trait).  I had my Tide pen (which I swear by).  I tripped going into the plane.  Catering did not give us enough ice or water.  We sit on the tarmac another 30 minutes waiting on ice.  There were 3 babies and about 14 children who couldn't speak English.  The oxygen mask came apart when I did my safety demo.  The pilots were Chicago crew and not very good at communicating.  We had bad turbulence and I spilled water all over a passenger being jostled around (yet another reason why you should wear your seatbelt).  My fellow flight attendant was a HOT MESS.  She was messy and lazy and didn't help at all.  She spilled a coke on the floor and failed to clean it up!!! HELLO STICKY GALLEY?!  

We arrived in DC to a ton of angry angry passengers wanting to board and get to New York.  Many of them making 6 pm international connections, per usual.  By this time we were working on 4:45pm and I wasn't so sure they were going to make it.  We waited another 15 minutes for the fuel tank to be refilled because DC couldn't get their act together.  We closed the door and were ready for departure and had to sit on the tarmac another 23 minutes because of a ground stop at JFK.  The man beside me in row 18 was getting heated....taking his frustrations out on me. 

What was I suppose to do??? Nothing.  I just listen to their frustrations, try to make up some bs excuse, and just nod my head.  Because I don't want to be here and I hate delays just as  much as you do!!!!!!!!!! That's what I really wanted to tell him.  "I should have taken Delta."  Well then WHYYYYYY didn't you take Delta??? It is a GROUND STOP.  No plane anywhere in the continental United States is getting in or out of JFK airport if there is a ground stop!  "Is my checked luggage going to make it???"  I don't have a tracking device on your luggage, lady.  I don't know! People don't realize that flight attendants know just as much as you do as the passenger.  In fact, you may know more.  Yes, we can guide you safely through an emergency situation and serve 15 drinks at one time, but as far as operations, and baggage, and connections....you know just as much as I do.  We finally pulled into JFK around 6:30....crazy, tired, angry passengers in tow.  

I stepped in a giant puddle on my way to the bus home and my metro card I just put $40 on yesterday fell out of my pocket somewhere between JFK and home.  

I think I'll move to Australia.  







No comments:

Post a Comment