Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Final goodbyes

I don't do well with goodbyes.  I don't know whether its because I'm a girl, or whether I'm just over emotional when it comes to things like that or what.  And the fact that I may not see one of my best friends for a really long time makes me super sad!  I couldn't believe that Ashleigh and I had become so close in such a short period of time.  But it is here where I can thank her profusely for making my first year (give or take a few months) in Paris so enjoyable.  It is very rare that in such a few short months I was able to weed through quite a few girls to find her.  The same likes and dislikes, wanting to get out and do the same things, a companion to make me go to church, not to mention traveling with her was a breeze, and even just sitting and not saying anything.  I never even thought in the time I was here I would find good friends like I have back home but I was surely mistaken!  

Our goodbye after Saturday night dinner was quick as I didn't want to make a big deal out of it.  Knowing it could be 3 or 4 years before I actually did make that trip to Perth, Australia was tough.  I also hated that we weren't able to hang out as much that past week because with my parents in town, and all her last minute errands, it just hadn't worked out!  I brushed it off with a few tears, and then had to think of another goodbye...my parents!  It all happened so fast I barely remember it.  That next morning we were to get up early so I just spent the night there.  We woke up and were out the door by 7:30 am walking to the metro with their (heavy) suitcases and other various bags.  Cue the *womp...womp* sound now.  Line 1 on the metro was closed.  8*sd&9#!!!!!!! They have been doing extensive work on the Line 1 for months now, but I didn't notice anything on how it was closed on Sundays until 10 am.  I looked around trying to find a solution....taxi!  We were literally going 2 metro stops to Chatelet to catch the RER and the taxi driver kind of rolled his eyes when I told him our destination but I explained it was hard with our suitcases, etc.  That's his job right?  To drive people where they want to go?  SO....take us to Chatelet! 

We hurled their suitcases down the stairs and shoved our way through the barriers with their gargantuan bags.  Rode the moving sidewalk without taking a step which was a new experience for me.  It actually moves verrrrrry slow when you are not moving.  Went through our next set of ticket barriers, this time Pat having a little technical difficulty getting through.  His suitcase got stuck, and the doors wouldn't re-open without someone else going through.  I tried to explain to everyone entering to come his way and people just looked at him like he had some disease or something.  It was a simple concept.  Finally this little old lady was sweet enough to give it a go and...voilà!  Off we went.  Until I realized they didn't have the proper tickets for the RER.  e*wld$%#!   They could have gotten on but when they exited at the airport it would have been impossible because it requires a special ticket.  I did NOT want them to have to go through that trouble at the airport when I could do it at Chatelet and know what I'm doing.  Since Chatelet is a ginormous metro station, I planted them in a spot and said don't move!  I began a quick sprint to find the nearest ticket machine that would sell me an airport ticket.  I had to go all the way to Line 4 entrance desk and finally I succeeded!  Not wanting them to be late for their flight, we had very quick goodbyes, an exchange of their extra euros that were left over (which worked in my favor!), and I shoved them on the next train and basically said, "Don't get off until the end."  

I had just returned to my apartment when I received a telephone call.  "Hello." "Hello...Maggie?" "Yes..." "It's Ashleigh!"  "Uhh...yes....What are you doing?  Shouldn't you be on a plane to the States?" "Well, actually, I'm not leaving until tomorrow...come over for a movie day? I'll explain it when you get here."  YES!!! I thought to myself.  I hated to be selfish because I know she was ready to get to camp, but one more day just hanging and watching  movies in our tracky (trekkie? trecky? tracky?...Ashleigh, tried to throw in an Aussie word but just couldn't pull off the spelling) pants and t-shirts?  Please!  Turns out, her flight was delayed long enough to where she couldn't make her connection flight to Grand Rapids, MI....so, the airline offered to put her up for a night in Newark.  She decided she would rather stay in Paris in her bed than stay in Newark and eat hotel food.  Good choice for me!  We watched some pretty bad French television, The Jungle Book, and some recent Disney movie in French.  It was great to spend just one last day together without anything on our minds.  

So Ashleigh....thank you for your kind words, encouragement, support, love, and friendship that you have shared with me!  We have made great memories together and I will never forget our time in Paris!  There are so many people in this world that call themselves your friend and I am so lucky to be one of them!  






1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh I HATE goodbyes!!! After 3 long distance relationships it still never gets easier. The test of a friendship sure does come from distance though.

    ReplyDelete