Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Marie-Césare's Birthday Party

Last Sunday was Marie-Césare's 4th birthday party.  Now her birthday isn't actually until later on in the summer, but since everyone here leaves the city for July and August it makes it nearly impossible to have a proper kids birthday party.  Manon's birthday is in June, so the parents got together and just decided it was easier to have the party now...and to have it together! And why not?!  They chose a picnic out at Parc de Bercy, which I have visited several times and yet none of the parents had ever been there.  No surprise there.  We hauled all the things into the car, including a tag-a-long guest Lila whose parents are out of town.  The ride down wasn't too long on a Sunday, although quite a bit longer than if I had just hopped on the metro.  

We unloaded all the things and Franck went to park the car, and I wondered what was in all these bags and boxes we brought with us.  We found a great picnic spot covered by shade, where there were a few other families but was still quiet.  We began to unload everything...cokes, wine, champagne, actual dinner plates, a cheese and meat smorgasbord, 4 bags of chips, a quiche, 2 dozen mini pizzas, 2 giant cakes (2 girls, 2 cakes), and enough candy to last a small third world country a whole year.  

All the children gathered around the bag of open chips, which are normally not allowed!
In attendance were Éva and her mom, Leonard and his dad, Cléo and both of her parents plus her baby brother, Victoria, Lila, Manon and family, Marie-Césare and family, oh...and Nina and her family.  We were expecting 30 and thank goodness those were the only ones that showed up.  After we cracked open a bottle of champagne and had a toast, we ate and let the kids run wild.  We picked a spot near an old fountain, so the parents took turns standing guard so the kids didn't play in the gross water.  

Louis (Manon's brother) eyeing his first attack on the bonbons.  
Classic picture of Manon with bonbons in each hand talking about how she just can't get enough!
Marie-Césare's "Gateau en Carrosse" that she had been hoping for!

Blowing out the candles with mom
The watch and stick-on "boucles d'oreilles" I brought her back from Disneyland for her birthday.

Overall, it was a successful day.  We didn't leave until around 6 as I think everyone enjoyed lying around the park for the afternoon.  Everyone's parents were so nice, and I found it quite funny that I knew all the parents and children already just from school and the park.  So I was included in everything just the same.  Between the sun, and the kids, and the speaking French all afternoon, I'm not sure exactly what wore me out more....or probably the combination of all three!

I also wanted to share with you the cake/pastry that I had on MY birthday. Besides the delicious pain perdu the night before we found this little strawberry gem at Ladurée.  The outside was perfectly smooth and looked almost fake.





It was delicious.  I wasn't exactly sure what it was when I got it, but it was from Ladurée and I assumed it was strawberry flavored so it sounded like a winner to me.  Turns out it was some sort of mousse on the outside layer, with a layer of strawberry confiture sandwiched around some sort of coconut layer.  While I left the coconut layer because I just can't stand the texture of it, the two outer layers where ah-mazing.  The mousse was smooth and creamy and the confiture a bit sour to compliment the sweetness of the rest.  Delicious!  I chose well and can't wait until another fun occasion where I can go back and try another!

I want to thank each and everyone of you for the kind words and birthday wishes I received on my birthday from all of my friends and family all over the world.  It was pretty sweet celebrating in 2 different continents...it lasted longer!  Off work today and tomorrow so I will be spending the next few days getting ready for .....mom and Pat to come!!! Yes, that's right ladies and gentlemen, the countdown is nearing the end.  I know their time here is going to pass by so quickly and I'm ready to soak it all up and show them MY Paris!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment