Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Le Marais

Another smashing weekend!!  I've been hanging around Kerry so much I'm beginning to say things like a Brit...cracking, smashing and lovely.  Saturday we were going to explore Le Marais a little, pop in Thanksgiving, see Victor Hugo's apartment, and Musée Carnavalet.  Soo...we did just that!  

We approached Place des Vosges and knew immediately we were in the right place.  It is this lush area with a nice park and great shopping.  


Victor Hugo's bookcase...not even one copy of Les Miserables here




Comparing the photos of his actual house as to what it is now, I think they have done a good job of keeping it the same.  Just down the street was Musée Carnavalet, a museum of the history of Paris.  More importantly was the 'Voyage en Capitale, Louis Vuitton et Paris' exhibition.  We had all seen the advertisements in the metro but haven't actually put that into action so we all felt very fortunate to have just stumbled upon it!  


Of course, no pictures were allowed and they had staff watching you like hawks.  It was a wonderful exhibit through the development of Louis Vuitton.  The collection included beautiful trunks from the mid 1800's to present day.  I don't fancy Louis Vuitton bags now, mostly because there are so many knock-offs, but the trunks that were on display from the 1800's were absolutely stunning.  The old camping gear, lounge chairs, handbags, intricate trunks, picnic "baskets" if you will, and tea sets were incredible!  

As we were beginning to get a little hungry, we found the other Breakfast in American location.  I don't know why pancakes, milkshakes, and bacon seem so good to all of us at this point....but we agreed and got in the queue for a table.  Sunny Side Up Burger? Yes, please.  (times 4...one for everyone at the table!)  What isn't better with a runny egg on top?  Absolutely nothing.  (Notice that I grabbed all the dill pickles off my friends' plates...)


Too bad my stomach was yelling at me the rest of the day for eating all that fatty grease.  When you're not use to eating that all the time, its amazing how it makes you feel...blah.  

After waiting in line in the rain at The Conciergerie...


we were the last ones to enter for the day and were able to spot Marie Antoinette's cell, play in movie sets, and see some pretty cool movie posters from old French movies.  It was rather a mish-mash museum with the beginning being French films, and the end a tour of the cells, tombs, and shrines at The Conciergerie.  




The Conciergerie is a formal royal palace and prison where most people stayed before they were taken to the guillotines in the late 1700's during the French Revolution.  Most famous inhabitant here?  Probably Marie Antoinette.  Where she still resides in her cell at this very day.  HA!


Since it was the last day of the winter sales in France, it wouldn't be fair if we didn't give the stores a look...right?  It's a good thing its the end of the sales because there was absolutely nothing left.  The sale items in all of the stores were tiny racks with maybe 10 items on it.  Calling it a pretty unsuccessful shopping trip would be an understatement.  I told Chloé I would babysit Saturday night so I left the girls and headed to the 9th.  Marie-Césare and I had a great night together...she was so sweet and well-behaved!  I love it when we have days like that...I can't wait until tomorrow to hang out with her all day.  We're going to make an American treat (cinnamon rolls) and make Valentine's for her friends in the park.  

It's late and I have to be up early, so I will blog Sunday's adventures tomorrow night!  Hope you have a Happy Valentine's Day!  Love you all!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment