Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Spending The Day With A Sick Child...

Chloé called last night and asked if I could watch Marie-Césare for a few hours today while she went to her doctor's appointment and had lunch with some friends.  I of course told her yes, excited to see the little monster.  

When I arrived today, she was as sick as a dog.  She had a fever, runny nose, coughing, sore throat....man, was I as excited as ever.........................................................................................?
And it also happened that a few hours turned into 6 hours.  I am just hoping my immune system will keep out whatever she has.  I washed my hands probably 20 times and made sure not to get too close.  The last thing I need is a sore throat while I'm trying to shove waffles and chocolate down my throat in Belgium.  

Chloé did buy some new activity books for us to use and arts and crafts items for next week! Yay! That's something we can do together very well.  I have always loved my art box, and although she doesn't have a "box," a bunch of paints and colored paper shoved in the top of her closet will do just fine.  Chloé also bought a nursery rhyme book that has each song in English and French!  With an accompanying CD.  Woo hoo!  I have been dying (really) to learn exact translations of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star and Row, Row, Row, Your Boat for months now!! Turns out, they aren't exact translations, and the songs aren't even exactly the same tune because of the syllables and pronunciations, but....its the same idea.  I took a picture of just a few comparisons:  

  


 

I also found some pictures from Monday that I've been meaning to post.  Ashleigh and I both had the afternoon until 4 off on Monday, so we decided to check out the Bois du Boulogne.  I was picking up Marie-Césare there later so we figured...why not?  It's just on the outskirts of west Paris...bordering Neuilly Sur Seine, one of the more posh suburbian neighborhoods.  


This picture is only a small fraction of the park, as it is 2.5 times bigger than Central Park in New York City.  Just to be honest....at night and early morning, this is where the prostitutes of Paris hang out.  I will say that even during broad daylight, with Ashleigh....I didn't feel very safe.  Strangely enough, I feel safer in the city at midnight than I did that day.  There are parts of the park that are obviously safe...where families hang out..near the lakes, playgrounds, and various waterfalls, but if you venture off that path.....well, just don't.  After what felt like miles of walking, we found the Jardin d'Acclimatation.  
 I picked Marie-Césare up from Les Ateliers at Le Jardin d'Acclimatation at 4.  She had an all day kids art "workshop."  The Jardin d'Acclimatation is where every child that lives in Paris dreams about going to on vacation from school.  It's a small "theme" park if you will, with crêpes, gaufres, barbe á papa, carrousels, small water boats rides, bumper cars, etc.  Everything you could imagine for the kiddos.  So, naturally we couldn't leave that afternoon without riding something and having a tasty snack.  


Also that night we had an interesting craft project.  We made this chicken "egg" holder.  Naturally, she wanted an egg for dinner so I boiled her one right up, popped it in its new holder and voila!  


Of course she didn't like the egg, she actually spit it back onto the counter because she found it so disgusting, so I ended up finishing it off.  She just wanted to fulfill the idea of having an egg in its new home.

SO excited about going to Brussels (excuse me....Bruxelles) this weekend with Kerry!!! It is going to be a whirlwind of activity but we will not stop until we get it all done!! We both pretty much have the same list of things to do.  Amongst our items:  Chantillon brewery, Chocolate museum, Mannekin Pis, EU capital building, the Atomium (cheesy, I know), St Michaels Cathedral, oh yea, and WAFFLES.  This is only a short selection....but I can't wait to fill you all in when I get back!  

No comments:

Post a Comment