Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Buskers.

I have kept my mouth shut about Paris metro buskers....until now.  The first 3 or so times I got on the metro in November I was elated to hear "La Vie en Rose" sung with an accordion accompaniment by a smiling man with just a few teeth.  Now...I am overly annoyed.  Every. single. time.  I have not been on a metro in the past 4 months where there hasn't been a busker or a group of them hopping on and off each train every few stops.  They have somehow maneuvered their speakers, tape deck (yes, tape), and microphone dock on wheels so that they can conveniently push their profession around with them.  

Today, I got on and two middle aged men who really only looked like they needed to buy a few cigarettes for tonight, were singing "La Bamba."  La Bamba???? Really??? La la la la la la bamba.

A.  Wrong country
B.  They were off pitch
C.  They didn't even know the words except for the chorus, they were just mumbling I guess hoping no one on the metro knew Spanish

And then....2 fine looking gentlemen from the RATP(metro) staff walked up and they quickly stopped....mid-bamba.  The two RATP staff pulled out their notepads and began writing the buskers two tickets.  I believe I heard him say 30 euros.... a piece.  Now, was La Bamba really worth 60 euros??? I think not.  But all the people sitting around us were relieved.  

Let me explain.  There are around 2,000 groups/people/musicians who audition for 400 performance permits in the Paris metro each year.  These permits allow you to play in the corridors of the metro, but no one is allowed to play ON the metro.  If caught without a permit, or on the metro, you can be fined....a pretty large amount considering what you're making.  The competition is pretty tough, as my favorite 8 piece string quartet is normally playing in Châtelet on any given Saturday afternoon.  I give them credit just for lugging the huge double bass into the metro.  Or the 10 piece Jamaican group with all the bongo drums...they even sell their CD.  

My advice?  Don't busk on the metros.  Especially without a permit.  And pleasseeeee for the sake of everyone involved, don't sing "La Bamba."  

1 comment: