Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Parisienne Weekend

This past weekend was what I believe to have been the first completely sunny weekend I've had here in Paris.  It was magnificent.  With Kerry not here, we weren't quite sure what to do with ourselves.  There didn't seem to be an urgency to sightsee, and we felt like actual Paris residents.  Saturday afternoon we spent a couple of hours lying in the grass at Parc Monceau.  As our stomachs began to rumble, we decided to give in and search for something to eat which left us off the metro close to Ashleigh's house.  Ashleigh had the house to herself because her family has gone skiing (I believe they have their seasons backwards) so we threw a blanket onto her "yard" and enjoyed the sunshine for another few hours.  There is a delicious Chinese takeout place just down the street so we ran down to get Chinese and popped in a movie.  

Sunday we started off the day at Hillsong.  It has been a couple of weeks since we've been to church because we've wanted to spend what time we had left with Kerry!  It was so nice to go and so nice to go somewhere with so many friendly faces.  Afterwards we hit up Canal Saint-Martin.  I had been in the winter, but it was quite ugly and couldn't understand the attraction.  With trees and flowers in full bloom yesterday it was prettier, but I doubt it becomes a frequent location of mine.  



As we were walking along, I noticed this family in their giant built-for-the-lake type boat.  I found this to be hilarious, and couldn't for the life of me find a boat ramp or dock anywhere!  And in this picture they are in a small entrapped dam area which is even better.  Its not like you can swim in the water, so what on earth were they doing on the 2 mile stretch of the Canal?  There are apparently other parts that you can actually take a boat ride, but not this stretch.  They were the only sailors.   I guess when you live in the city you've got to take what you can get???


We grabbed a crêpe at République and went back to Ashleigh's for some more sunbathing and dinner.  We cleaned out her host family's fridge and ended up with quite a delicious pasta with loads of veggies!  She bought her flight home  (or to the States to be a counselor at her summer camp) and she is leaving on Sunday June 12th!  I will be shipping my best friend and my parents off on the same day....I assume it will be quite an emotional one!! 

Tomorrow I have lots of errands to run, Wednesday evening and Thursday I am keeping Marie-Césare.  I am finally hoping that Marie-Césare and I can do something fun like the aquarium or go swimming on Thursday.  We haven't had a full day together in so long!  Friday hopefully getting my hair cut, and sitting on the grass at the Champ de Mars because they open up the grass in front of the Eiffel Tower...finally!  April 15th....all of Paris will be there, but I don't care, I want to join in just the same.  

No comments:

Post a Comment