Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Packing...

It's exciting packing to go on a trip.  I live in a place where people pack suitcases to come to all the time.  But sometimes I forget that.  On my days off, I can go anywhere in the whole entire city of Paris and sometimes I choose to sit at home and read my French novel or send e-mails.  I love packing to go places.  Maybe its because I don't go on a lot of trips but I find the whole game of, "how many times am I going to repack my suitcase" fun.  Or in my case, "how many pounds does this suitcase weigh?"  It is hilarious and frustrating and yes, I have had my sister sit on my suitcase before to get it to shut completely.  And yes, I pull out the scales in the bathroom to get an 'approximate' weight.  My mom hates packing, and would rather just snap herself to her destination.  I, on the other hand, think the flight, train, or car ride is half the fun....especially since these days you spend just as much time getting there as the actual vacation.  Who doesn't love sitting next to the drunk German woman on the train or the 5 year old child sitting behind you on the airplane kicking the back of your seat while his mother just reads her book?  

Our plan for Italy was to just being a carry-on.  Cheap, easy, and we can pack light...right?  Wrong.  We can take a couple of changes of clothes, one pair of shoes, and our toothbrush...right?  Wrong.  Guys have it so easy.  One change of clothes, a bar of soap, and your wallet and you're good to go for days (toothbrush optional).  Girls?  Shoes, clothes, beauty products, camera chargers, phone chargers, snacks for the road...the list goes on!   So, I bit the bullet, paid a little extra, and now we are taking a suitcase and Ashleigh's carry-on.  You know what?  The suitcase is still pretty full.  

I am excited about spending a week in one of the most beautiful places on earth, eating what is hopefully the freshest seafood, and drinking the best of Italian wine.  I only hope between the 4 cities and 5 villages, taking pictures, eating and hiking that I have time to stop and enjoy it!  Although I always make time to journal when I'm away from my computer so that I can come back and recount every important (and unimportant) detail for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment