Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Poisson d'Avril

Friday was Poisson d'Avril, like April Fools Day, but French style.  I saw some fish shaped pastries in the boulangerie earlier in the morning...just thinking it was some preference of the baker, I went on about my day.  As I passed more boulangeries, I saw more and more fish!  Wonder what this could be?  Turns out, April Fools Day in France is celebrated mostly by children.  Friends put a paper fish on another friends back, and when the "fool" finds out, the child who put the fish on his back yells, "Poisson d'Avril!!"  Therefore, the need for fish shaped pastries.  

I'm not sure exactly why, but Marie-Césare's school was celebrating Carnaval on this day as well.  A little late...but, better late than never I guess?!  I walked into the classroom and every child of Classe 2 was dressed up like a little chicken.  They all had homemade wings and beaks and hats.  After school, everyone gathered around the entrance outside to hear the musicians her school had hired for Carnaval.  They were actually quite good and kept most of the children occupied for at least 20 minutes.  


Cléo and Marie-Césare


Telling secrets...


Franck got home a little early Friday night and we decided to play a joke on Chloé for April Fools.  I went along with it not knowing what the joke was because there was no time to explain.  As he started telling Chloé, I realized it was about me and my ears perked up.  He explained to her that I had told him that unfortunately, I couldn't stay another year with them.  She was devastated.  I cannot even describe the expression that came over her face.  He had this serious look on his face, but as soon as she started asking me questions, I could NOT keep a straight face.  I started busting out laughing....Franck too.  It wasn't a very funny thing to joke about, but it was really nice to know that I'm wanted!!! 

On the metro I continued to laugh, because this was the first thing I saw as I descended to the platform.  Jersey Shore.  Yuck.  They have gone international.  I cannot stand Snookie and her poof, I think the show is stupid and ridiculous, and their guido orange tans obnoxious.  But, alas, here they are, previewing on MTV in France in the prime weekend spot at 9:00 pm.  


Friday evening was one of those evenings where if I was at home in the States we would be grilling out, or sitting on the back porch watching the sun go down.  One of those evenings which I remember very fondly on 100 Springer Drive where my dad and I would roll around in the grass until 8:00 in the evening and we were called in for dinner.  I continued to walk home slowly, trying to soak up as much of the sunset as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment