Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

The beach in Belgium?

We set off on our journey to a small town called De Haan, Belgium Friday afternoon around 4.  I wasn't sure how long the trip was going to be, and didn't want to be that annoying child who asked, "How much longer?" 50 times over the course of 30 minutes...so, I kept my mouth shut and just was along for the ride.  Chloé is a pretty new driver, she hasn't had her license very long and even though she has it, it doesn't mean she is an excellent driver.  All Parisian drivers are pretty much crazy...and I haven't ridden with one that doesn't go from 50 km/h to 0 km/h in 5 seconds.  That's just their way of driving.  The interstate was  just as interesting, as every time we passed a big truck we would slow down until we passed it....but there are no rules on their interstates.  Well, there are but no one really follows them.  There aren't cops every 10 miles like here in the states and its like Atlanta, if you actually go the posted speed limit, you will get run over.  

We arrived to meet their friends who were staying in the apartment just across the hall from us and I was relieved to immediately find out they both speak English.  I was prepared for a week of solid French, and although it didn't differ much from that...it was still nice to know that if I couldn't explain myself in French I could revert a bit to English if need be.  Olivier and Violynne have 2 girls, Clemence who is 7, and Louise, who is 2.  We were all so tired so we ordered pizzas for dinner and practically went straight to bed.  I shared a room with Marie-Césare, Gaspard and his friend Tim slept in the same room, and of course Chloé and Franck.

The "boardwalk"


The next morning I woke up and went across the hall for breakfast.  We decided their apartment would be our breakfast place because they had a 2 year old girl, Louise, who woke up at 6 am anyway.  I discovered Speculoos "butter" which has the consistency of peanut butter but the delicious taste of Speculoos cookies.  Its like a 5 spice kind of cookie and I have seen the spread but never really thought to buy any.  Oh my goodness.  That was my absolute favorite part of the day.  I could have eaten 10 pieces of bread with that stuff on it....or better yet, just with a spoon.  But I kept my manners and stuck to 2 tartines.  Olivier gave me a brief history lesson during breakfast of Belgium, and all the problems that they are having as a country.  Who knew such a small country could have so many problems? They basically don't have a government right now, and the country is so divided based on the French/Flemish cultures and languages.  Where we were staying in the north is considered the "Flemish" part of the country so if we would go somewhere and speak French, a lot of times they treated us differently or were rude.  I found out I had better luck just speaking English!  

After breakfast we went and bought some paper for making "Flowers by the Sea."  I have never seen this before in the states, but Violynne said it was very popular in France and Belgium.  Kids go buy paper and things for making flowers, which also comes with a book/tutorial how-to.  They are pretty elaborate flowers, but fairly easy to put together.  After you have a handful of handmade flowers, you make a store on the beach.  Most every family had a store, and you line your flowers up so potential buyers can come buy your flowers.  Except you don't pay in money, you pay in shells of course.  The beaches there are similar to Florida beaches, but they are littered with shells.  Kids go out and collect shells, and trade shells and flowers all day long.  Its a pretty neat concept, not to mention it makes the beach beautiful with all sorts of brightly colored flowers everywhere!  (Anddd...it keeps the kids pretty busy.)


Clemence making a deal with a buyer
Marie-Césare negotiating handfuls of seashells with a neighboring flower store


That night, the kids and I had dinner prepared by the parents, then the parents went out for dinner while I put the kids to bed.  I didn't mind at all because by the end of the day on the beach I was exhausted from the sun anyway.  The next day Marie-Césare woke me up around 8 and we went right to breakfast and to the beach to profit from the sun.  I got some great color on my legs and arms despite being covered up from the cold weather.  It didn't get warmer than about 75 while we were there and it was very windy.  That didn't stop us from getting in the water.  I played with the girls in the surf for a little while then kindly convinced Marie-Césare to venture out a little further.  She was scared, like she was in the pool, but I held her hand the entire time and we walked out into water that came up to about her waist.  She didn't like it at first, but once she saw Clemence and I laughing and enjoying the waves, she forgot all about her fear and was splashing around all over the place.  We found lots of crab shells from where they had molted, as well as some pretty great shells to take back to show mom.  They were both covered in sand from head to toe and rolling around in it as if it was chocolate.  Was I ever like that?  I hate sand.  It was all I could do to sit in the sand and play.  I hate how it gets in all your things (including your bathing suit), I hate how it sticks to you, I hate how 3 weeks later you find sand in your room.  Gross.




Taking a watermelon break
We at lunch on the beach that day in all of our sandiness and skipped naps.  Skipped naps?  We were all exhausted by bedtime.  I'm pretty sure we were all knocked out by at least 8:30.....which made for a very early morning the next day.......

No comments:

Post a Comment