Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Carnaval?

Got up this morning to head down to Hillsong but I had a few moments to kill.  I sat down in the metro just to do a little people watching and as the metro trains just went by I expected Ashleigh just to hop off at any moment and us scurry along to church like every Sunday.  Unfortunately, that never happened.  

After church, I met Cathie on the Champs Élysées for Carnaval de Paris...which I thought we had a few months ago but apparently there are a few carnaval celebrations here.  Appropriate.  We met at 1:00 and found a good place right on the road behind the barriers.  It started at 2:00 so by 1:45 there wasn't a good spot in sight.  But the Champs Élysées sure was calm.


Once it began and you could hear the loud music and see the brightly colored costumes, the tourists started to gather who were there sightseeing and shopping for the day.  Pretty soon we had people pushing on us about 4 rows back trying to get up and see everything.  A lady came up behind me and I'm not sure if she couldn't feel her large boobs pushing into my spinal cord, or she just couldn't see they were so big...but I had to give her a huge shove back at one point because those babies were weighing down on me!  I couldn't imagine carrying those around all day.  The other lady standing beside me had some really gross breath, and at one point a little child's hand creeped up between us to the fence to try and pull herself up to get a better look.

The costumes were great, I always love a fun feathered headdress, sequins, and high heels.  WHO WEARS HIGH HEELS TO WALK IN A PARADE?!  I kept thinking that to myself over and over and over only to see more and more women wearing 4 inch heels.  They've got to be crazy.  And we saw more parade participants wearing next to nothing that I have ever seen.  There would have been none of that in Lawrenceburg I tell you.  None.




Aren't they cute?!

Tell me she's not absolutely adorable.
My favorite costume of the day.  Thinking about ordering one for Halloween.

The groups were great, and overall a good afternoon of carnaval watching!  Would I go out of my way to do it again next year?  No, probably not...but it was fun the first time!  Afterwards we turned around to leave and the streets were a madhouse.  I have never seen the streets so crowded, not even during Christmas markets.  20 minutes later we finally reached the metro, only to find the metro in a disastrous state!  People were going every direction just pushing and shoving and no one seemed to mind so I just joined in on the fun.  I also had to do another body flop to get myself onto the metro....I would consider myself a pro by now!  I was so glad to get back to Courcelles, although I could still hear the beating of the drums and whistles in the distance.  Finally, some peace and quiet in my apartment and all is well with the world.

Enjoying the quiet tonight before I spend an entire week with Marie-Césare.  Yes, you read it right ladies and gentlemen, I will be spending every day this week....all day...8-8 with Marie-Césare.  Hopefully it will be an excellent opportunity to perfect her English and for us to do some fun things together.  School is officially out, and vacations haven't started yet for Chloé and Franck so I am the lucky winner who gets to occupy the little one.  Fun things ahead:  pottery class, a new art class, a day in the water sprinklers at the Jardin d'Acclimitation, popsicle making, and a day at the movies to go see Hop.  Yes, Hop, the Easter movie that came out in the states 3 months ago, we are now going to see.

15 days until I'm home to see some of the most special people who are so near and dear to my heart! Can't wait!  

No comments:

Post a Comment