Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Friday, July 1, 2011

The Big News

Most of you know, but I guess I should update the rest of you who don't.  My big news.  I have been thinking basically since I got here about my decision to stay another year.  You can ask Ashleigh, I have been agonizing over this decision nonstop since January.  Technically, my first year isn't up until November...but time is just flying by.  People ask me daily whether I have decided to stay another year or not, including Chloé, Franck, Padi, and Didou.  The kids parents at the park asked me, the florist, the guy at the supermarket, Marie-Césare's teacher.  Everyone wanted me to stay...I just wasn't sure myself.  It is such a big commitment to stay here another year, not making any money but still taking French classes.  I love learning another language, let alone French.  It is such a romantic language and in a quirky way it makes me feel smarter to have a good grip on another language.  I feel competent and worldly.  

Paris is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited, and the Eiffel Tower and the hills of Montmartre will never cease to amaze me.  Springtime has been my favorite season so far, and brings a certain 'life' to the city after a long, gray winter.  Having spent a full winter here makes spring that much more enjoyable.  The people are interesting...and there are all types.  It takes all types to make up such a grandiose place and I am proud to call myself one of those people.  Amidst the fashionistas and the French "je ne sais quoi" sometimes I feel as if I don't fit in, but its my daily life that assures me I am a true Parisienne.  

I have fallen in love with Marie-Césare.  We had our differences at first, but now that our communication has improved, she has captured my heart.  She is so intelligent for her age, and now loves learning new things including English.  And she loves teaching me things which I in turn, relish the chance to learn something from such a sweet girl.  She of course is not perfect all the time and we have our moments...and she has her days...and I have my days!  But she still makes me smile.  Chloé and Franck have been so great to me, and are always making sure I feel at home.  They want me to be as included in everything, just as Marie-Césare and Gaspard are.  Gaspard thinks of me as a big sister, which is what I wanted to begin with.  In fact, its hard for me to tell him no sometimes!  They are in no way, shape, or form my truly amazing family back home in Lawrenceburg, but they will forever run a close second.  

Which (excuse all the previous hullabaloo) is why I am excited to tell you all that I have decided to stay another year!  Paris is not finished with me yet, and I know if I come home right now...I will never have another chance to do anything like this again.  Yes, I miss my family and friends so much, but after talking to friends, parents, grandparents and siblings, I felt encouraged to pursue another year here.  It took me a few months to realize I am only 24.  Gulp.  I am so young....and still have the opportunity to do whatever I want to with my life.  No, I am not building my 401k or paying the mortgage on my first house, I'm not anywhere near marriage or kids, but I feel so accomplished and proud of myself.  The experiences that I have had over the past year will last a lifetime and I am changed because of it.  I am confident and self-assured and know that if I can handle Paris on my own, I can handle any city in this world.  I have been doing 'me' and it feels good to learn new things about myself.  After a year of job rejections in a poor economy after college graduation, I am now assured that I can do anything I put my mind to.  I can succeed no matter the circumstances.  

That being said, after a week spent in Belgium with my host family, I am coming home for a couple of weeks in July!  ha...I am now officially broke and it completely depleted my savings account, but I will be arriving in the good ol' US of A on July 18th, so anyone who wants to make the pilgrimage to Lawrenceburg to see my face... bring it on!  It will undoubtedly be another year before I see you again.  I'm so excited about seeing all my family, and a few special friends who are carpooling to L'burg for a quick weekend visit.  I'm excited about a few things including Papaw's home grown tomatoes, air conditioning, sour cream, Chick-fil-A, and spending quality time with my little Laine-loo before she turns into a big girl and heads off to college!    

My parents always encouraged me to spread my wings and fly, and I'm not sure they meant exactly this situation...but I feel as if I have taken their advice to a whole other level.  They have always been encouraging and supportive and I will never be able to show enough gratitude.  A few things my dad once wrote to me upon graduating college and I read them often for encouragement...

"I will be here to support you across the miles until the day I die.  You go get this world, and get it all, because if you don't, someone else will.  I think you can!"  

I'm not exactly sure that he knew when he wrote those words that he meant Paris, France and traveling all over the place...but he did say world.  So...that's gotta mean something! ;)

Cheers to another year in France!  I hope to continue my joie de vivre and have that certain je ne sais quoi when I return.  

1 comment:

  1. That's exciting, but I'm sure you are really glad to be coming home to visit too!!

    ReplyDelete