Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandaddy!

Today would have been my Grandaddy's 84th birthday.  I am sad that I cannot call him, or better yet, be there to wish him a very Happy Birthday but I know that he is somewhere receiving my birthday wishes to him in much better spirits than the last time I saw him.  I never realized how hard it would be to lose a grandparent, and I think of him daily.  He was such a truly amazing grandfather (hard to deal with at times but hey...he's a Philpot after all!), and I fully cherish the time we were able to spend together.  I am close to all of my grandparents...and am thankful everyday that I have had that opportunity.  

Before I left to come back to Paris I went into my Mimi's house one day and Catherine, the housekeeper, had helped her clean out her cabinets underneath the bookshelf in the den.  The very first thing that came to my mind was Grandaddy's Pac Man handheld game.  It was the old, circular, bright yellow Pac Man game that had distinct gaming sounds from the 1980's.  I remember the sounds because there wasn't a mute button and it use to drive my Mimi crazy!  Grandaddy could play that thing for hours and better yet, teach me how to play.  There was a switch for "amateur" and "pro" and of course he played on the pro level and I was an amateur.  He use to tease me all the time about being an amateur but I didn't care, it was our thing!  Needless to say, I grabbed up that Pac Man machine so fast, turned it on, and guess what?  The batteries still worked.  I am happy to have it in my possession and if that's the only momento I ever have from his life I am 100% glad that it is.  I miss him dearly, but I know that he was proud of me for all my accomplishments thus far, and all the things I have yet to conquer.  

Just leave you with a few photos that I happened to have on my computer!  We always celebrated his and Laine's birthdays together (13th & 15th of Sept.) so a couple are from their joint celebrations! 


And there's me, trying to hog in on all the spotlight.
The fam. At Christmas....2009 I believe?  
Laine's 17th and Grandaddy's 83rd

No comments:

Post a Comment