Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Friday, September 30, 2011

Invalides.

Yesterday after class I met Estelle and went to Les Invalides.  I don't know why I hadn't crossed it off my list before yesterday...but I'm glad I did.  We could have spent an entire day there...and luckily since its free for me I will probably go back and spend more time there.  Les Invalides use to be a war hospital and was built in 1670 with the first residents in 1674.  It originally held a veteran's home, barracks, a convent, a hospital and a workshop.  


We started in the army museum seeing first the ancient armor, the 13th-17th century.  The detail in some of this stuff even for that long ago was amazing.  The swords kind of grossed me out, being stabbed by something as blunt and rusty as a spoon is really not very exciting.  

A gun...just in case you don't have really good aim.  
Yes, that is a child's suit of armor, they were trained from 6 years old on.  
World's largest bronze cannon still in existence.  I can't even imagine how they lifted that ball.  
We then skipped over the section from Louis XIV to Napoleon III and went directly to the Two World Wars.  I find both of them fascinating...maybe because they are recent history, or maybe because they both relate to the US.  I love history but I am the worst at remembering dates and exact details.  I loved living with Alex during college because she could remember the most random facts and dates.  An avid Jeopardy fan, she could tell you just about anything useless you needed to know.  The museum was a great way to visualize the timeline and actually gave me better perspective on how "it all went down."  Living here has also made me realize how little American's learn in history classes.  We learn basically nothing about the world.  One semester of World History in high school and thats really all thats required.  (At my school anyways....that class was a joke.)  I could tell you every detail of what happened the day that JFK was shot, but the Russians involvement in World War I?  Not a chance.  I laugh about it with my friends here all the time but I think its a pretty serious problem.  We learn all about how Americans did things and American history...but world history?  Not so much.  Although I guess most people don't ever leave the comfort of their homes in America so maybe its not such a problem.  


I would be interested to know what the typical doctor's kit looks like today in Afghanistan.  I imagine its a litttttle bit more complex than this.  

We left the museum a little pressed for time, grabbed a quick sandwich in the cafeteria and went to Napoleon's tomb.  It is in a separate part of the building, but the chapel and the église du dôme were easily accessible.  I cannot tell you how many domes I have pictures of and if you put them all side by side I'm not sure I could tell them apart, but they are all so beautiful!!  I just think of the detail and time it took to paint on the ceiling like that and am immediately amazed.  


Napoleon's tomb....think its big enough?  
In 1840, Louis-Philippe I ordered that the mortal remains of Napoleon I be returned from Saint Helena to Paris to where this tomb was erected.  Connected to the dome chapel is the Veterans Chapel which today still hosts events and mass for the military.  


Tonight I have been invited to stay a little later at Chloé and Franck's for a glass of champagne and to meet their American friends from California...so, I think I will.  ha!  Tomorrow is Nuit Blanche.  From 7pm to 7am the city will be host to an art/cultural all-nighter that is suppose to be fantastic.  There are several invitation only dinners in which all the guests wear all white and are dazzled throughout the evening with white linens and candles.  But the city hosts free art exhibitions and more out of the box type shows which we will be attending.  Down near Hotel de Ville there is an exhibition of an artist called "Purple Rain."  His art is showcased as the visitor walks through literally...purple rain...with an umbrella for shelter.  There is also a dance/disco until 3:30am where you learn steps and then after 3:30am it is an open dance floor.  A few of the metro lines stay open all night long, and I am looking very forward to it.  I haven't quite figured out how to take the best pictures on my camera at night....so maybe this will allow me a chance to practice...all. night. long.  

No comments:

Post a Comment