Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ohhh...the weekends.

I enjoy the weekends immensely.  I don't know whether its the time off, being in my apartment where its quiet, meeting lots of new people, or just goofing off with friends (or maybe its all of that combined) but I love them.  Friday night was my dear friend Omphile's last night in Paris.  We spent a good 3 hours sitting in front of the Eiffel Tower joining the crowds of tourists oohing and ahhing each time it sparkled.  With no bathroom anywhere close around a few of us also frequented the bushes nearby which was a new experience.  (Best view from a bathroom I've ever seen!)  ha!!  We were able to meet a few new faces, enjoyed some wine together and a champagne toast at the end to celebrate Omphile, her friends, and her time spent in Paris.  We left there and went to a South African place that Omphile frequented that served South African snacks, Pepsi products (which I never see here in France), and of course Rugby playing on the big screen.  (If anyone knows Omphile, they know that she is passionate about South Africa, its food, sports, people, and all the things that differentiate it from the rest of the world.  So this was a perfect place for her last night out!)  It was really fun, but I honestly could have stayed sitting in the grass at the Champ de Mars for the entirety of the night!!!  That view just never gets old and the company was pretty darn good as well.  Smashing evening.  


Alison and Laura
Elise and Taylor
The next day was spent resting and doing laundry.  I met Laura, Estelle, and Rozy around 5 at Jardin du Luxembourg for a crêpe and nice afternoon stroll.  We sat on the grass for a little while but the gnats were everywhere...flying into our mouths, noses, and stuck in our hair.  We eventually got tired of swatting at them and made our way across the street to a café for a cup of coffee.  



Today Laura and I went to Hillsong and after was an au pair picnic.  I had no idea about the picnic....somehow I'm now out of the loop on all the picnics...good thing I have connected friends -aka, Rozy.  ha!  It was 76 degrees here today and SUNNY!!! An absolutely beautiful warm front to what I'm sure will turn out to be a frigid winter.  There were about 50 girls there and I'll have to say it was quite an eventful picnic.  We first arrived and there was a girl filming who is filming an "au pair in Paris" documentary.  She is creating a place for au pairs to turn to when they have trouble getting their visa or with their families.  Good idea, eh?  Next, we had a couple of people who needed volunteers with an event they are having next weekend.  Resumé builder?  Yes, please!  Last but certainly not least was a middle aged French man asking us to be in his music video.  Right there.  In the middle of Jardin des Tuileries.  Obviously he was not too famous because there were no body guards and only a staff of about 4 helping him.  We were all pretty skeptical, (and weirded out...who interrupts a picnic?!) but seeing as how we were a group of 50 and he was just 1, figured that not much could go wrong.  So we participated reluctantly and 10 minutes later he thanked us and went on his way.  Have no idea who he was or even what the song was but maybe I'll see myself on his music video one day?  Strange.  


Estelle, me, Rozy, and Alison at Jardin des Tuileries
Esmee, Flora, Estelle, and moi of course!
Guess what tomorrow is everyone?!?!?! As if you didn't know....JIMMY BUFFETT!!! The day has finally come.  Ahhh SO excited.  I've got all my accoutrements including the necessary grass skirt, chilled rosé, warm weather, and flip-flops.  I can't wait to get to the pre-party at the Hard Rock Café at 1:00, stay with Marie-Césare for an hour or so then come back for the concert at 8!  I seriously am so excited and have no idea how I will sleep tonight.  I can't wait to blog about it and show you all my photos.  Yes, I am thinking about how amazing this blog post will be in advanced.  That's how thrilled I am.  

"So turn up the heat
And chill the rosé
Take off your Uggs
And let your metatarsals play
Even though the South of France
Is 10,000 miles away
We can turn up the heat
And chill the rose..."

-JB, Turn up the Heat and Chill the Rosé

No comments:

Post a Comment