Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Carnaval de Paris!

Every few Sundays we have decided to have brunch at Breakfast in America, which I love because any excuse to slather some French's mustard on anything makes my day!  I know French's is harsh, tangy, and heavy on turmeric, and I should be soaking up all the delicious Dijon mustard here....but I just can't help it, I love French's American, as yellow-as-it-can-get mustard.  After brunch we stepped out in Le Marais for a quick stroll.  Le Marais is always bustling on a Sunday and today was no exception.  On a sunny day in Paris alllllll of the locals come out of the woodworks.  Luckily we had all brought our sunnies with us which made for some cute pictures!


Delicious treats in the window while walking through Le Marais. 


Ending up at Hôtel de Ville where they have taken up the ice rink and turned on the fountains!


Ashleigh, Paige and I


We went from the center of Paris up to Abbesses towards Montmartre and were greeted by this lovely band playing L-O-V-E by Nat King Cole.  Couldn't help but tap your feet and twirl around a little.  


What better way to spend a sunny day than on the steps of the Sacre-Coeur?!



On our way to Montmartre we passed a bookstore and I went in to have a look.  Guess what I found?!

Wait for it....... 

MADELEINE-in French!!! Oh my goodness....I read Madeleine all the time when I was little and I use to want a scar just like hers!! I can recite the entire book from memory and am pretty sure the whole Madeleine collection is somewhere with my things in Lawrenceburg.  But what a charm to find it in French!  As we were sitting on the steps I pulled it out of my bag to read it and it just brought a huge smile to my face!  The pictures in the book are actually at Notre Dame, Hôtel de Ville, and the Sacre-Coeur...but of course I didn't know what those things were when I was 5.  Its so amazing to look back on something from my childhood and how it relates to my life presently.  No I don't leave the house every day with 12 little girls in 2 straight lines, but I do leave in rain or shine.  



A busker trying to impress the tourists with his skills...did he succeed?  I think so.  


The artists in Place du Tertre. 


I've discovered a new place for crêpes that I like.  This guy makes them fresh every time, he doesn't stack them up for the crowd like many of the others around.  Granted you have to wait in a long line but it is 100% worth it.  He puts lots of filling inside so that when you get to your last bite its full of nutella (or whatever you have chosen).  


Yes, my cheesy crêpe photo.  But...don't you want one too?!


Please excuse my blinding pale skin.  I haven't seen the sun in so long....

Wandering down from Montmartre we stumbled upon the Carnaval parade!  That's why I love living here...you can just stumble upon these things and never even know it was going on!  Carnaval is essentially the European Mardi Gras.  There were brass bands, drums, lots of crazy costumes, lots of beer, lots of dancing....just like New Orleans!  There are also pancake races, light shows, costume contests, etc.  I was missing out on Mardi Gras this year so I'm glad I had somewhat of a fix!  




I want one.  


Beautiful sunset over the Seine.


Was so excited I got to Skype with my mom and dad AND my Aunt Janie when I got home.  First time in a couple of weeks!  Today Ashleigh and I made it back out to Vincennes to visit Kerry and Yann...pictures tomorrow!  

Hope everyone has a happy Fat Tuesday tomorrow!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment