Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Not Everyone in Australia Can Throw A Boomerang.

Since Kerry's last few days here in Paris are dwindling down and she hadn't made it to Versailles, Ashleigh and I decided to go with her just to be able to spend the day together!  It was sunny and fairly good weather which was most unlike the last time I was there.  We took the 30 minute RER ride out, waited in half a line for tickets...realized we didn't need tickets and went to the gardens.  We didn't visit the gardens last time because it was so rainy and cloudy.  I will have to say, they are pretty impressive!  There are hundreds of fountains all over the property and 37,000 acres were cleared to make room for all the gardens, walkways, ponds, and trees.  You wonder what royalty did all day?  They walked around their gardens!   It would take years!  





After the gardens we were feeling a bit sheepish so we walked down to the town of Versailles for a quick bite before taking Kerry to the Château.  The town was bustling in the center with a huge market.  Fresh vegetables, cheeses, meats, bread, ah...it was a cook's paradise in which you could find the rarest of cheeses and the softest of breads.  We also found this gem of a boulangerie with a line 20 people long out the door.  But, living in Paris we have found out that the places with the longest lines....are always the best!  So, what else to do but wait!?  Check out their selection....how does one choose between all of these beautiful cakes and pastries?!  



This is what I ended up choosing after at least a 7 minute decision and a check in my wallet to see how much money I was willing to spend.  I settled on a large raspberry macaron (4,60) filled with fresh cream and fresh raspberries.  I'll have to say it was better than my chocolate ones.  The shell had just enough crunch on the outside, but as soon as I took the first bite the soft inside just melted in my mouth.  The raspberries added a nice, juicy punch and was worth all 5 euros.  


The selection of mini macarons wasn't quite as big as Ladurée, but still quite vast.  


Our tummies full of pretty French macarons we walked back to the château to tour the inside.  Pretty much the same as last time, except they are having an exhibition "Thrones of Majesty" from around the world.  Its a collection of about 25 different ancient thrones from countries everywhere which was pretty interesting.  

We got back on the RER to Paris and were going straight to Bercy Village to catch a film.  Learning we had a couple of hours before the film started we wandered around the nearest Monoprix and LOOK what I found!  Chocolate bunnies!!! I was beginning to think that they didn't have Easter bunnies and eggs and things but I suppose they do!! Wahoo!  Ashleigh and I were elated.  


We went ahead to the cinema and cleared out a spot on the floor to hang out for an hour before the movie.  Only we would be okay with doing that...as I know a couple of girls who would whinge at even the thought.  Although you know what I did learn during our floor chat?? Do you remember Fruit by the Foot?  They might even still sell it...I'm not sure.  Guess what they call it in Australia?  Fruity Meter!!! haha...I found this so interesting since the United States is so backwards from the rest of the world.  We measure food in cups not weight, feet not meters, inches not centimeters, fahrenheit not celsius, 12 hour time instead of 24 hour time.  Bahh.... its exhausting trying to convert everything.  I also learned that not everyone who lives in Australia can throw a boomerang.  Bam...total disappointment.  I assumed it was like some talent you learned as a wee child but no, Ashleigh can not...I repeat can NOT throw a boomerang.  There goes all hope of me learning....

This week is suppose to be very beautiful so hopefully I will spend it outside!  I officially changed my classes today so beginning of next week I will be at the next level of my French language courses.  And will also have 10:30 classes instead of 8:00 classes.  I liked getting up and getting them over with, but it will be nice not to have to get up so early!  Meeting Ashleigh tomorrow for some afternoon sun and babysitting tomorrow night while Chloé and Didou go see Mamma Mia!  I rather persuaded them into going because when I went in Nashville it was quite good!  Looking forward to a positive week!  


1 comment:

  1. Never think that 0 comments means no one is reading your stuff, Mags. I read every word and study every photo. I have told several people about your gorgeous raspberry and cream stuffed macaron; it's gorgeous, at twice the price it would be worth it! I love your adventures. I love that you do so many things with your time. You will be knowing Paris inside and out when you ever get out of there. I visited with Kerry a bit last night, and she is more and more convinced that she's going to do this. (What it tells me is that there are so many U.S.ofA. kids going abroad because you all can't find good jobs in your own country.) But, anyway, what an incredible opportunity you are having....I think I sound like a broken record! But I'm so impressed with what you are doing/seeing/eating/thinking and/accomplishing.

    ReplyDelete