Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

How to become a Parisian in one hour

How do you become a Parisian in one hour?  Well, Olivier Geraud did a pretty good job at telling us.  Ashleigh and I found this advertisement in the Fusac, the local classifieds and advertisements for the English speaking residents of Paris.  Ashleigh had been told it was good, and I am always down for a good laugh, so we got her mom in on the action and headed out late this afternoon.  The show started at 5:30 in a little theater near Bastille so we bought our tickets and headed into the theater.  The seats were long benches with red cushions to sit on as well as one cushion for your back as the "back" of your chairs were simply a metal rod that hit just above your tailbone.  Pretty pointless if you ask me.  If the show was longer than an hour I'm not sure I would have made it through!  

He started off with a little background history, asking where the audience was from, and loosening us up a bit by having us say some French words.  The audience was from all over the world...Peru, Australia, America, Brazil, China, etc.  But of course....the Americans were made fun of the most.  I suppose its because we have a lot of habits that are oh so easy to make fun of.  And what he mentioned was hilarious stuff that I of course KNEW was true.  Like how Americans smile all the time, are so happy, and are always showing off their teeth.  The way the girls dance in the bars and drive their Mercedes around town.  Its hilarious.  

The show was even funnier because I have been here awhile and have already picked up on those terrible French expressions and moods.  How you always pick a point to stare at on the metro and never lose your gaze.  How if you stand on the left side of the escalator you simply must be a tourist.  And how if you walk into a store you musn't talk to anyone and be as rude as possible.  And I agree, those things are very French!  

At the end of the show these 2 middle aged women from Atlanta who were sitting down front shouted up at the stage, "You are such a hunk!"  And the guy said in the most typical French accent..."Hunk?  What is a...hunk?" You could practically hear crickets in the room because the only ones who knew what they were talking about were the other Americans.  As they were walking out of the theater I heard them say to each other, "Hunk?  Hunk is universal....everyone knows what a hunk is..."  No ladies...I'm afraid the word "hunk" is however, NOT universal.  

My neck/shoulder is better, but I still feel as if I have to turn from my waist because it still isn't properly healed.  Have to take Marie-Césare to the doctor tomorrow...maybe I'll have them take a look. ha!  

No comments:

Post a Comment