Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

closed until the end of august?

As I was walking around yesterday trying to get things done there is one thing that I didn't notice that I did notice today.  

How desolate Paris is during August.  

Of course there are still a million things open around the tourist sites, but as I stepped off of my stone stoop onto an empty sidewalk I realized that Paris has a certain hush about it.  On my way to the laundromat I passed maybe 10 people, normally passing 40 or 50 business men in suits or nannies with children on any other given day.  All the buildings were closed and shop windows were covered with brown paper with a small note saying they were closed, much like the one here.  


Just in case you can't read it, that says an entire month off.  And every 2 shops on Rue de Courcelles in closed until the end of August.  What a riot.  I think this is great! And funny! And strange!  Well, I have been told that the city does shut down but I didn't really believe it.  I mean, my boulangerie is closed until the end of August.  Quelle chance!  Where will people go to get their baguettes, croissants, and tartes aux fraises?  Well, nowhere because nobody is here.  

As I was running errands in Ternes today I didn't walk with a brisk pace as usual, but walked with a rather subdued, slower attitude.  I enjoyed the beautiful 75 degree, sunny weather and felt a bit like Paris had become mine again.  I felt like that in the beginning of coming here, but after the schedules and day to day grind with Marie-Césare, then the coming on of tourist season in May, it hadn't felt like that in a long time.  Even being by myself (which is my favorite way to get to know Paris) was wonderful, and I enjoyed my time as one lonely girl in a great big city with nothing to do and no agenda.  This city is filled with passion and liveliness, and its hard to believe in August that it shines even more but to someone who lives here...it certainly does.  

No comments:

Post a Comment