Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Madeline

Everyone thinks of Dora the Explorer to be the pioneer show on teaching kids another language, but I rented a free episode of Ludwig Bemelman's Madeline on iTunes tonight.  Just for fun.  


I have read the books since I was little, but haven't seen an episode since I can remember, besides the movie that was made back in 1998.  During my childhood throwback, I heard so many 'bonjour's' 'zut, alors!' 'trés bien's' 'regardez!' and the guttural 'r' sound even in their English words.  That 'r' is an absolute necessity if you want to sound French.  Anyways, Pepito is Spanish and there was even some Spanish thrown in!  So why does Dora get all the credit for pioneering the bilingual movement in children's television?  Why do they not still play Madeline on the Disney channel...instead of some of that junk that's on there now.  Instead we have The Fresh Beat Band and Hannah Montana.  Maybe its because I have always loved mischievous Madeline, or maybe because I can now relate to the photos in the picture....but I think 12 little girls in 2 straight lines is genius.  

Heck...I'd probably still watch it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment