Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Saint-Valentin

Happy Saint-Valentin!  

Trying to keep busy, Marie-Césare and I busted out some Valentine's Day cookies yesterday.  I wanted to do something different than a cupcake or cake, so I did some sleuthing on the internet.  I came across a cookie Jello recipe and thought we should try it out.  I had an extra package of cherry Jello my Granny sent awhile ago, and thought it would make the perfect color pink for Valentine's Day treats.  

We rolled up our sleeves and dove right in.  As always there was a little too much of something thrown in, a bigger than usual cloud of flour snow, and a few too many fingers eating the dough...but that's what kids do, right?  I mean heck, I found myself licking the beaters as well.  





Here, like many countries across the world, Valentine's Day is mostly celebrated in romantic relationships. In the States, its more of a "love" holiday where you celebrate the love between friends and family, not only your significant other.  It has grown to be a holiday that I thoroughly enjoy, even though most people find it silly.  I believe it stems from my mother's love of the holiday and her making heart shaped pancakes at breakfast, flowers sent to school, and our favorite chocolates and candies all day long.  What's not to love about it?!  

Happy Valentine's Day...I love you all! 

Here's the recipe for Jello cookies.  Will certainly be using it again.  It gives a much more vibrant color to the cookies than food coloring.  

JELLO COOKIES


3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 3oz package Jello gelatin, any flavor (we used cherry)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla depending on the flavor of Jello)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt


Directions:

  1. 1.  Cream margarine, sugar, jello and eggs together in a medium to large bowl.
  2. 2.  Add the rest of the ingredients.
  3. 3.  Mix well.
  4. 4.  Roll dough into little balls and place on a greased and floured cookie sheet.  (We rolled them out and used cookie cutters for the hearts, (1/4 in thick) dough is a little sticky, be sure the surface is floured as well as the rolling pin.)
  5. 5. Place the cookies on a greased cookie sheet.  
  6. 6.  Bake 6-8 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment