Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Friday, February 3, 2012

Frozen To The Core

It has been freeeeezing in Paris lately.  Highs being in the upper 20's and lows somewhere around the 17-19 degree range.  It wouldn't be so bad, except for instead of just popping in your car to go somewhere, you have to walk 4 or 5 minutes to the metro.  I swear last night it was so windy my eyes were frozen shut by the time I got to my apartment.  Let's don't even talk about pony lessons on Wednesday.  I can't even go there.  

The water on the streets from the sanitation department is frozen in the curbs and if anyone spits on the sidewalk it becomes a small spot of black ice within seconds.  If you are seen without gloves, a hat, 2 or 3 scarves, and boots you might as well wear a flashing vest and red flag on your head.  I saw a woman wipe out on her Velib' last night as I was riding home on the bus.  Her bicycle skidded over ice as she turned the corner to her street.  (WHO would dare to ride a Velib' in this kind of weather anyway?  You probably deserve to wipe out...)  

I braved the cold last night to make it out to one of Sarah's going away celebrations, crêpes one last time before she leaves on Saturday.  We wore our most Frenchified shirts and berets as an attempt to surround her by our humor and French stereotypes, but they weren't even seen because of our layers upon layers of clothing.  

La Gourmande:  grilled bananas, chocolate, chantilly, and almonds.  
We have decided that we need to recruit another Australian to our group, as I haven't been without an Australian friend since I arrived in France!  Sarah is going back for the beginning of school (which I still can't understand that their summer break is just now coming to a close...summer? But, its WINTER!) and hopes to make a return trip to Europe at some point over the next year.  

The skies are a bright crystal blue and there isn't a cloud to be seen as I look out my window watching the hundreds of airplanes come in from every direction to Orly and CDG airports, only wishing that the clouds were a little grayer and snow was falling on the rooftops.  Because then, and only then, could I justify this cold that we are feeling through to our bones as a positive thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment