Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, February 5, 2012

SNOW DAY!

Well, I got my wish.  

I woke up to a beautiful blanket of snow covering Paris today.  Taylor called me and woke me up with the news....I told him if he was kidding, he was going to pay...but turns out, he was right! It had snowed a perfect amount, not enough to be a nuisance or cause traffic jams at every intersection, but just enough for a small snow angel or a footprint to be seen in the powdery cloud of snowflakes.  I immediately got dressed and knew where I was headed.  Last year I got great shots of Montmartre under a blanket of snow so this time it had to be the Eiffel Tower.  No questions about it.  

I gathered the troops and bundled up like the Michelin man as we all made our way to Trocadero.  I felt my heart beating faster and faster as I got closer and closer for fear of the snow being magically melted in a 20 minute time span, or for fear of stupid tourists ruining all the freshly fallen snow with their footprints and silly sayings.  

I arrived and couldn't wait on the others, so I walked immediately down to the plaza.  The steps were so slippery, but not because of ice, but because (as Taylor put it) the snow just doesn't know what to do with itself on the marble flooring.  I eventually met up with Rozy and Taylor and we wandered around Trocadero and the Champ de Mars for a good couple of hours.  By this time the snow had stopped falling and it was beginning to melt on the sidewalks and streets.  I didn't want it to go, and somewhere deep inside I wished there was more.  











After we had exhausted all of our photo opportunities we got on the metro and went to the next best spot in Paris on a snow day:  Montmartre.  I'll have to say Montmartre was a disappointment after such a wistful morning.  There was hardly any snow and the only thing left were puddles of slush and remains of old snowballs.  I did accidentally step on a pile of dog poop, which I immediately regretted, but turns out today the dog poop was frozen-so no harm done!  ha!  

We dove into the Amélie café for a warm coffee and an afternoon glass of wine and as soon as we walked out I could feel the temperature had dropped significantly.  I couldn't wait to get home and into my pj's and fuzzy socks and snuggle in under my blanket.  

As I look back over pictures from today and since the last snow day I had in Paris I realize how incredibly lucky I am to live in such a beautiful city and how amazing my life really is.  And how much I DO love Paris even when there is snow on the ground......wishes do come true!  

No comments:

Post a Comment