Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Interview in French? You are crazy...

Well, it came and passed all in the blink of an eye.  

I darted to the RER this morning because my entretien d'embauche was out in Chatou, actually where Taylor lives.  I didn't have my best interview clothes with me in France, but I worked with what I had and chose a pair of black pants, heels, nice top and cardigan.  Luckily I didn't get more dressed up than that.  Things seemed to be more casual in Chatou and everyone in the office had on boots and jeans...but I suppose I made the effort which is all that mattered.  I sat in a big leather chair for about 10 minutes before I was called back, picking lint off my pants, running my hands through my hair making sure it wasn't all over the place, and checking to see if my cell phone was on silent 458 times.  The office was new, very modern, and very stark looking.  White walls, computers, wood flooring...not much personality.  

I entered Madame Perrot's office and we sat down at her table to discuss business.  I have been out of interview practice for a couple of years so luckily I remembered to print off a copy of my resume because she certainly asked for it.  We went over my experience and discussed what I wanted from a job, then slowly but surely she got to the question that most interviewers asked, "What are your weaknesses?" I had an answer planned that of course included my terrible French writing skills.  But then she fires back with, "What is one of your weakest personality traits?"  Boom.  I didn't want to tell her about my obsessive compulsive disorder for cleanliness or my constant need to know where everything is at every moment (besides, that could be good in a job like this) or that honestly, I have no bad personality traits.  ha!  So I left it very open ended and persuaded her to move on to the next question.  

My best character traits, detailed descriptions of my previous jobs, why I chose hospitality, and what success means to me were all included in her questionnaire.  I felt myself having to sit on my hands during the interview, as talking with my hands is a gesture I get from my mother.  I would catch myself trying to make an emphasis on what I was saying in French with a combined hand gesture and quickly shoving them back under the table as if to say, "down doggies."   

30 minutes later, my mouth was dry, my brain was exhausted, and all my words were jumbling together.  My guttural French "R" was tuckered out.  I felt as if I was saying the same thing over and over again (which I do in an English interview anyway) and she was just asking questions wishing I would say something different.  

I found her company to be extraordinarily well put together, and they are very focused on high end clientele and do more traveling plans, tourism, and smaller events...which I found very interesting and something I could get into.  It was the first interview that I've been to where they have asked, "What countries have you traveled to? Because there could be traveling involved."  That in itself is exciting.  No, Dorothy, you are not in Kansas anymore.  

Overall, I would say it went well...certainly better than I had hoped.  Between my school schedule and Marie-Césare and her business not being centrally located in the city we both decided that I didn't have enough time right now to complete the jobs she needed to have done.  She needs someone full time and unfortunately I can't be that person.  We left it open ended and for me to give her a call back in June when I know exactly when I will be finishing with Chloé and after I will have finished school. 

If you would have told me 5 years ago that I would be interviewing in a foreign language today, I would have probably laughed in your face.  It seemed so surreal.  It could have been better, it certainly could have been worse...but I think for my first interview in a foreign language it went pretty darn good.  Even if nothing comes out of it other than interviewing experience in French, I will be okay with that!  

1 comment:

  1. I think that she wants you to get back in touch with her in June is a good sign, don't you. It sounds to me like she would be interested in you and would just need for you to have more time in your schedule for her job. I don't think she wants you to dump Chloe, what with her being a good friend and all, so it seems to me you got the best response you could get at this time. Call me later when you have time. That sure beats "we'll call you," I think. Congratulations for doing something tres difficile.

    ReplyDelete