Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

To-Do Lists


I have stayed very busy with school and daily tasks this week.  My new teacher is very professional and is taking the whole "2 hours of out of class homework" very seriously this year.  I haven't had this much homework since freshman year of college.  In fact, I was sitting here on my Sunday evening just about to pop in a movie and realized I haven't even started tomorrow's work, so I suppose the movie will have to wait!  

Friday I woke up in a panic with a to-do list that I had to get done.  I was running around in the rain because I had to make copies of all kinds of documents and find somewhere in this city to have my birth certificate translated.  Why?  Well, because in order to get my visa renewed I have to have a French social security number.  In order to get the social security number I have to send all this paperwork in and have 4-6 weeks processing.  With my visa appointment on November 22, I had to get on it...stat!  Around 2:30 Friday afternoon I found a place that could translate my birth certificate into French, certify it, and stamp it by Monday morning at 9:30.  Done!  

Why they even need to have my birth certificate translated into French anyway I will never know.  All it says is my name, who my parents are, where I was born and at what time.  That stuff doesn't even translate into another language!!!!!!!!!!!  Anyways,  its done and I said goodbye to 67 euros = $90.00.  Doesn't that seem a little steep for one page of non translating?  I also said goodbye to a possible weekend in Bordeaux at the end of October.  Minnccceeee......

All four of the girls playing "Au pas, Au trop, Au galop" on the knees of Cléo's father Friday afternoon.
Cléo, Nina, Marie-Césare, and Manon
I haven't been feeling well lately, I think the change in the weather always does me in.  Saturday I slept late and met the girls at the Art Deco museum for the Hussein Chalayan exposition.  No photos allowed and they were very strict about it.  Hussein Chalayan is a designer from London, so all my English fashion buff friends were very into it.  I found it interesting, and something I probably would have gone to anyway, so I sat and watched the fashion shows from previous years for what felt like a lifetime.  He had some pieces that with a push of a button would transform into a completely different dress!  

Afterwards we walked down to Angelina's on Rue de Rivoli for a cup of chocolat chaud on a seemingly chilly afternoon and jotted over to Tuileries for a bit to enjoy.  The line is always so long at Angelina's.  One of these days I will go, planning to wait in line all afternoon.  

Raspberry/Chocolat Macaron, Yummy? Non?  
Fall leaves on the ground at Tuileries
Flora, Rozy, Laura, and Estelle
Since the cold and rain had descended over Paris, we all went home and had an early night.  Slept late again today, which was probably good for my cold.  

We have been plotting a little metro breaking and entering.  I am dying to get into one of the closed metro stations from the 1930's.  I don't know why but I find this whole abandoned metro station thing fascinating.  They were closed during World War II, for escape routes, etc.  And because they were nonessential stations to the metro lines, some were reopened but not for very long, and others remained closed.  Some still have the original advertising from the 20's and 30's and others are covered over in graffiti.  Doesn't that sound cool?  I would love to see the original tile advertisements, wooden benches, and ticket stands on the platforms.  Plus, wouldn't it make an excellent blog post?!  

Okay, off to do some homework!  

No comments:

Post a Comment