Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Monday, March 19, 2012

Check!

Yesterday Laura and I enjoyed ticking a few things off of our "Paris Bucket Lists."  Le Centquatre in the 19th has been on mine for awhile now, but nothing had interested me in the way of expositions until this weekend.  This 39,000 square metered warehouse was once the home of the Parisian Funeral Parlor.  It is now a cultural center of arts, dance, music, theater, fashion, design, film...the list just goes on!  People come just to hang out and showcase their talent (we saw tap dancers and jugglers yesterday) and to possibly have a meal in the center's organic café.  Not to mention the constant change of hands-on exhibitions and experience the unique art space.

Neon welcome signs in all languages.


The exhibition we went to see in Le Centquatre's vast and open space was part of a festival, "A voir et a manger."  We wandered around each room with surprise and disbelief on our faces, as any good modern artist's viewers would.  

Yes, those are matches.  
Because of the placement of the "Smarties" as the cake turns it looks as if they are falling off the edge.
My favorite part of this cake isn't recognizable in this photo but there are little tiny bunnies on the side of the cake.  As the cake turns, the bunnies are hatched out of an Easter egg.  Like when you flip your finger through one of those picture/action books.  

We then wandered over to the Institut du Monde Arabe.  We have been trying to get there for several weeks but have just never made it over!  Laura's parents just moved from Dubai to New York, and Laura was fortunate enough to be able to visit her parents while they lived in Dubai.  She had a bit of an insight on the culture and customs of the Arabic world.  I couldn't help but think about my stepsister, Ann, who is studying the Arabic language at Ole Miss.  Props to her for learning such a difficult language!!




Can't even imagine learning a language that isn't composed of letters....

I'm a sucker for a hand painted tile.
The museum was just re-opened in February 2012 after a 2 year long renovation.  It was reopened for its 25th anniversary, and the chic and modern museum halls reflect an Arabic style and culture.  You are welcomed into the museum by a long hall of mirrors dotted with film screens showing culture and life in the Arab countries.  You are immediately transported to the streets and immersed into the daily life.  They also have quite a permanent collection, including an extensive antiquity collection pulled from different museums around the world.  

Just another couple of things to cross off my list!  The list is dwindling down, thank goodness, but I've still got some big things to do before I leave!  This week I am expecting to be a good one.  

1.  Today is my Mimi's birthday as well as Ginny's birthday! Happy Birthday to two of the most strong, loving and wonderful women in my life!  
2.  Le Jour du Macaron tomorrow...oh, just stay tuned, I can't wait to blog about it!  
3.  Only Marie-Césare this week...no Gaspard, which equals no complicated meals (yay!).  
4.  And skiing in the French Alps this weekend!  Which includes seeing Kerry Poole! Yes!! 

Thankful everyday for my blessed and wonderful life!  

No comments:

Post a Comment