Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Friday, May 25, 2012

An Afternoon at Madeleine..

We've been spending quite a bit of time jumping back and forth between Esther-Raphaella's house and ours lately....which is great when Marie-Césare has gone to play there, but exhausting when they are with me.  They enjoy playing together, but play/bath/dinner is just enough to make me want to come up with some everyday boundaries for when and where.  It did, however, work out in my favor on Wednesday afternoon.


Samford University's A Cappella choir is doing a brief tour of Europe and I was fortunate enough to have an insider's view into their schedule for the trip.  They were singing Wednesday afternoon at 4 pm at Église de la Madeleine, and although I arrived late...I was able to sneak a spot up front.  Their director, Philip Copeland, was in my Papaw's choir (a few) years ago.  My grandmother says it best when she told me, "He thinks your grandfather hung the moon."  I mean, really.....who doesn't think that Ken Miller hung the moon?  I certainly do.  And I know my mom does.

Their hauntingly beautiful voices echoed through the old church as everyone stopped to hold their breath at the end of every song.  The whispered acoustics almost made your ears tingle as every note was hit with rich perfection.  





They sang about 15 songs... some English, some not.  I went and introduced myself to Mr. Copeland after the concert and I believe he was surprised that word actually got through and that I actually showed up.  People were coming up to him from all countries and using their best English in telling him that it was "magnifique, très belle, wonderful" which I can only assume he hears all the time.  I wished them well for the continuation of their journey through Europe and said goodbye.  Only reiterating the fact that it is such a small world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment