Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Le McBaguette


Well, I did it.  I braved the unknown.  I did something I never do.  What is that you asked?  

Went to McDonald's.  

Now, I didn't go by choice, but seeing as how my internet has failed to give me any sort of connection over the past 3 weeks....a venture out to McDonald's, Starbucks, or other café's of the like have been seemingly necessary.  McDo, is the more common name here in France chosen largely by the younger population of ado's...has released a new sandwich...the McBaguette.  Now over the past two years I've seen ciabatta burgers, Le Big Mac, Le Croque McDo, and as gross as it is we still have Le McFish, but never the more obvious choice of the McBaguette.  

The last time I have eaten McDonald's was probably when I was home at some point, in 2010.  Here, to-go food is a sandwich, or veggies and hummus, or a crêpe with nutella.  Although McDonald's is gaining popularity, it is certainly not as popular as it is in the United States.  (Maybe why their population weighs 50% less than ours...)

I went last Sunday evening to McDonald's on Avenue Wagram, to get my internet on.  I was beginning to feel rather hungry, and just thought to myself, "What the heck...just try it."  The least it could do is give me an interesting blog post.  So, I ordered a McBaguette, Medium frites (which looks more like the size Small in the US) and took it back to my table.  I of course inspected it to see what was on it....lettuce, spicy whole grain dijon mustard sauce, emmental (the most common cheese to find on a sandwich here), and pepper.  I dove right in and was pleasantly surprised.  I expected the bread to be chewy and tough, but turns out its not bad.  It's not the best baguette in Paris 2012 by any means, but certainly edible.  

Would I order it again?  Probably not.  That being said, I don't frequent McDo enough to tell you that I would order anything again.  Not even a "fountain drink." Flat, no ice, and no free refills....they are certainly one of the perks of living in the States!  




1 comment: