Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Château de Vincennes

Monday midday, Laura, Rozy and I headed out to Château de Vincennes for a visit through the château and chapel.  I have wandered through the courtyard with Kerry a time or two, but never into the sides.  The château began as a hunting lodge in the 12th century.   It then became a refuge for monarchs during the 16th and 17th century.  When Louis XIV settled in Versailles in 1682, the Château de Vincennes lost its status as a Royal residence.  It is one of the largest and best preserved châteaux in all of France...and just on the outskirts of Paris.  

The stained glass was refurbished in 1992, but the great storm of 1999 blew some of the panels out.  
It's beautiful...but it's no Sainte-Chappelle.  
This keep is the tallest medieval keep in France...standing at 50 meters.  It is protected by the moat you see below, originally filled with water and a tall wall.  

The Chapel

Windows specially designed for bow and arrow shooting.  
It was very interesting, and for free entrance...why not!?  I learned just the day before that my cousin Landon is really into swords and shields and knights so I'll have to be sure and send him some photos of the medieval castle!  

We are going to Mont Saint Michel tomorrow and I cannot wait!! The weather isn't suppose to be anything special (aka, rain) but I'm looking forward to picking up some cheeses and specialty foods from Normandy since their cows apparently produce 'golden milk'.....packing my mini cooler-thanks mom!  



No comments:

Post a Comment