Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Bonfire Night. Well, Parisian style.

Last night, we celebrated a British holiday, Bonfire Night or Guy Fawke's Night.  Guy Fawkes' Night is commemorating a failed conspiracy of a group of people (the "Gunpowder Plot," led by Guy Fawkes) who plotted to blow up the houses of parliament in England.  They normally celebrate with huge bonfires, special foods, and often fireworks displays.  

I volunteered my apartment for brewing mulled wine (which turned out pretty terrible by the way) and Rozy and Laura had spent half the day making Parkin, a cake made with oats and golden syrup.  It was missing baking powder and was therefore quite dense, but was still very yummy.  

Parkin and Mulled Wine in my apartment
We left for the Champ de Mars around 11:30 where we had sparklers waiting for us.  Normally, a huge bonfire would be built, but since burning down the Eiffel Tower wasn't really in the cards for us last night, sparklers would have to do.  

I also got the chance to play around for a bit on my camera.  

Rozy couldn't figure out how to draw a heart with the sparklers. 
Taylor in the middle of spelling his name.
Me, Rozy, Flora, and Estelle
Sweet Alison
My heart!
And the best one of the night, Flora's star.
On Saturday night, the last flickering of twinkle lights on the Eiffel Tower is at 1:00 am.  Except they turn off the other spotlights, so its the black (brown) framework with white lights...rather eery, but really cool!  I ended up getting some great shots!  




This morning we woke up and headed off to Breakfast in America.  A much needed American breakfast I will say.  The majority of the table ordered breakfast burrito's, but I ordered the special pancakes.  Chunky Monkey Pancakes.  Bananas, walnuts, and chocolate chips with chocolate syrup.  Wowzers.  It was so delicious.  And so filling.  

Chunky Monkey Pancakes

Laura, me, Alison
We had a wander through Le Marais and stumbled upon a few kitschy shops as usual, and one very new shop with mucho attitude.  

Added to my "interesting things I've found in Paris list":  

Macaron placemats
Giant Lego's
The silver stars and streamers hanging from this store's ceiling
This pistol soap dispenser
This chair
This pom-pom ball rug
This wood stump beanbag
Hope everyone has an excellent week!  Gaspard is here this week, I've got to babysit all day Friday (holiday here), Friday night, and Saturday night so I'm afraid I'm going to be exhausted by the end of it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment