Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Rock'n Mode

Last night was Estelle's nuit dernière in Paris, before she left to go to Cambodia for a month and then onto Tasmania to resume school.  We met her at Place de la Concorde for the first night of the annual Christmas Markets and some vin chaud.  


Hanged Santa....so sad!  

Useless junk. 
Ferris wheel is up at Place de la Concorde! 

Estelle's last night! 

The girls practicing their "sorority pose"...didn't they do good?  
The Markets were so empty because it was the first night.  Many of the stands weren't ready for customers, lacking in vin chaud and crêpe batter.  The useless junk that they sell at those booths seemed much more interesting since you could walk up and play with all the stuff without having to fight a million tourists speaking 15 different languages.  The lights weren't up yet on the Champs Élysées, but from the likes of what was in the trees I don't think I will like them this year.  I don't know when the official "lighting" of Paris Christmas lights is, but they are up all over town and I'm ready for them to get going!  

This morning I went to the American Church of Paris with Alison and Taylor for their annual Fall Bazaar.  It was exactly like the UMW Fall Bazaar at my church back home, having homemade goodies and treats, a warm home cooked meal, a used book sale, and a million little kiddies running around with their Sunday School friends.  The choir was singing Christmas carols in the background, setting a lovely atmosphere for the event.  



Thanksgiving hand turkeys on the walls!! For some reason this made me SO happy!  
We had lunch, then off to the goodies room for some coffee and brownies (and a cheddar cheese biscuit..ahhh!) and talked about our Thanksgiving menu.  We were surrounded by friendly Americans who were easy to talk to and easy on the ears to listen to.  All the proceeds went towards missions, so I couldn't leave without buying a trinket or two, and my favorite purchase of the day?  

GIRL SCOUT COOKIES = AMAZING. 


Afterwards we met Rozy for some gawking at the decorations at Galaries Lafayette, which I'll have to be honest...and don't gasp...I didn't really like this year.  Last year, they were elegant and colorful and Christmas-y.  This year, the theme is "Rock-n-Mode" and everything is neon lighting, black, red, and gold.  A lot of work and creativity went into designing and creating the theme, window displays, and Christmas tree, but after last year, I was expecting so much more.  The Christmas tree isn't nearly as big, and there are merely neon signs decorating the outside.  The outside sidewalks near the grand magasins were ridiculously packed and you could barely get through.  With the Versace unveiling at H&M a few days ago, that was impossible as well.  About 10 minutes of fighting the crazy people on the trottoirs we decided to call it a day.  







Au Printemps
We also were situated at a interesting protest/rally/strike for animals being used for fashion.  Forrure = Torture.  It was quite an interesting march as we saw this sign for "friends of cats", several dogs (who uses dogs to make coats????), and my personal favorite, a ferret on a leash.  Taylor took that photo and will definitely have to share later.   The ladies were like yelling all kinds of mean things off of those loud speakers and the photos...well, you don't even want to know.  




Disneyland bright and early tomorrow!! It is suppose to be a pretty day so I'm hoping to not have to wag a big winter coat around with me.  Looking forward to catching Mickey in his santa hat and "icicles" hanging from the rooftops.  I'm such a kid...I know.  At least the happiest place on earth is going to distract me from my visa renewal appointment that I have on Tuesday.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment