Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Smashion.

Last night we met at a bar near Saint Michel to have a little celebration for Estelle's birthday.  Nothing big or grand, just a few friends getting together.  We ended up going to a small place, with a completely empty upstairs area which was made for a birthday celebration.  The bathroom was just next to us, so we watched as girls went in and out of the doorway, fascinated at their look.  French women have such a distinct "look" that I just can't seem to pull off.  Its so effortless, but yet so put together.  We all looked like a bunch of teenage amateurs sitting around compared to the women in the bar.  

French women have such finesse and style, even in jeans and flats.  Its in their genes I think, and are born with it.  They always look so chic with their hair thrown up into a bun and no makeup on.  They can layer the craziest things together, and it still looks like they walked out of Vogue.  I'll have to say, I always wanted to look my best back home, but since living in France I have become very conscious about what's on my back.  I don't leave the house even to go to the store without mascara and ballet flats.  I haven't worn a sorority t-shirt or sweat pants in months.  I didn't even bring my tennis shoes with me to France.  I really do walk across Paris in heels/wedges, and can do it now with great ease.  But unfortunately, I cannot master that I'm-chic-and-sophisticated-and-casual-all-at-the-same-time look.  Blame it on my lack of funds for my wardrobe, or my less than perfect body type, or my disdain for shopping in general (I'd much rather shop online), as hard as I try I just can't get it together.  

Maybe its my personality....I would give anything to have the entire J. Crew catalogue hanging in my closet, so maybe funky glasses, a plaid button down, a blazer, skinny jeans, lace-up boots, and black Chanel 2.55 slung over the shoulder is just not me.  No matter what I put on I look so...so...so...American. Ugh.  

No comments:

Post a Comment