Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

C'est pas bien...

I went today for a signature and official stamp and yet another office.  I waited another 349281 hours with 492018423 other étudiants étrangers and was so relieved when my number was called.  I sat down with a surprisingly chipper woman and explained my situation.  (I am always so nervous about my language skills and every time I leave something important like that I am reminded how just darn good my French really is.)  Chloé and I did not know that you are suppose to renew your au pair contract every 6 months.  Well, we haven't done that since last November, so I was going on a year overdue.  "Uh-oh."  She kind of said it jokingly, but I could tell she was being serious.  She asked for my social security papers (which are still being processed...shoot...don't have that either) and then took the rest of what she needed.  Naturally, the regular "au pair" staff person wasn't there so she couldn't answer to the best of her ability my questions.  

She said that this was not good (obviously) but handed me an envelope to fill out to have it sent back to Chloé's.  I tried to kiss her tail as much as possible, and reminded her that I have my next appointment the 22nd of December and I really need this paper before I go.  She bid me bonne journée and I let out a sigh of relief as I reached her doorway.  I got home and realized we also forgot to fill in the date?  I don't know how important that is here in France on a contract, but I'm guessing slightly more important than you would think.  

So, I will continue to keep you all updated but as of now I am still without a visa.  Still looking forward to all the lines I will have to wait in and play the guessing game on how many more signatures I will have to chase after.  Until then, I will take my hopeful "uh-oh" and spend a lovely day with Marie-Césare tomorrow.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh no, Maggie! Believe me I know something about French bureaucracy. It's a pain in the 'cul' (pardon my French), even for French people. They sure do love their 'paperasse'. I had many problems during my year there, but they all seemed to work themselves out after a bit of determination and a little yelling. Keep your head up and keep us posted. Bonne chance!

    ReplyDelete