Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Saturday, December 10, 2011

English Christmas Dinner

Yesterday a few of my fine English friends got together and prepared a typical, Christmas dinner for us non-Brits.  I put on my new dress (hesitating to be anything but proper at a proper English dinner) and headed to Saint-Germain-des-Prés to my friend Alison's beautiful apartment.  Well, her families' beautiful apartment.  The father of her host family is American and there were subtle things about the apartment that gave that away immediately.  A washer and a dryer, floss on the cabinet in the bathroom, and an alarm clock on the nightstand to name a few.  

The kitchen was buzzing with talk of parsnips, pea soup, and mince meat pies.  With our secret santa gifts stashed on the coffee table and the second course in the oven, we poured wine and sat down to a delicious first course of pea and lettuce soup.  I normally hate iceberg lettuce, but mix it up with some peas and butter and I'm game!  I even asked for seconds to bring home with me for dinner.  



Sarah and Rozy

Before the next big course, we pulled our "crackers" open, first by crossing our arms and one person getting the end of everyones popper.  Inside were your typical paper crowns, jokes, and toys.  Laura found an eye patch in hers, I had some magic cards, and Rozy got a compass.  For some reason...everywhere she pointed was north.  


Our resident professional bird carver, Taylor, got to work on the delicious centerpiece.  Normally it would be a roast or a turkey, but since both of those options are very expensive here...chicken it was.  
We enjoyed our "parsnip course" of parsnips and carrots, stuffing balls, brussel sprouts and broccoli, roasted potatoes, nut stuffing, and bread pudding.  A very full and colorful plate.  

Sarah, Alison, Laura, me, and Rozy
We sat our overly stuffed selves on the couch for a much needed rest after all the delectable food.  Dessert was offered but it was absolutely certain we all needed a 30 minute break.  We passed around our secret santa gifts, took a group photo....

or tried to....


There we go...finally got it right.  


And settled in for mince meat pies and a chocolate yule log.  

Tell me this doesn't look delicious....
I practically had to be rolled out of the apartment and could have laid on their comfy couch with rain drizzling on the huge windowpanes all afternoon.  Sending out a huge thank you to those of you that sent me on a small Christmas trip to London for the afternoon!  

Drumroll please.....

The finished product at the Lachaize residence.  Not too shabby, huh?  I am enjoying it anyway. 


Our homemade candy garland.
I have to babysit next Wednesday night and to be honest, I'm looking forward to putting Marie-Césare to bed and just sitting around the tree for a little while by myself with a cup of hot cider.  Bliss.  

No comments:

Post a Comment