Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Friday, December 21, 2012

Peace

I haven't been able to upload photos lately because of a problem I've been having with Photobucket, my photo storage website.  I have been forced to revert back to Flickr, which I don't like as much...so I will put up these pictures later! 

Yesterday's post was "Tree Topper" which I think is a pretty lame topic.  Tree toppers aren't that exciting, especially in my family.  Years ago my mom would put a Santa on top of the tree, but I told her that it was sacrilegious and we absolutely couldn't have a Santa on the top (I think she just stuck it on top because it had a hole in the bottom to do so...).  Now we have a rather lackluster star, but it sparkles with a bit of glitter that still clings to the wire and looks pretty atop our personalized tree.  Both my Mimi and my dad have strange pointy glass objects that sit on top of theirs, and my Granny has a pretty angel perched atop the skinny branches.  (Pet peeve of mine #436:  When people mix up angle  and angel..ugh...)



Today's topic was "Peace."  It's hard to think that with all that's going on in the world that there is any peace anymore.  I haven't mentioned the elementary school shootings in CT so far because I am  disheartened, sad and very, very angry and my whole heart goes out to all of the families with loved ones  ...little ones... who were taken from them.  Dads that will never be able to walk their daughters down the aisle when she gets married.  Moms that will never be able to watch their sons grow up to be baseball heros.  Brothers and sisters that will never again be able to quarrel with their younger siblings.  Grandmothers and grandfathers that will never again have the chance to spoil their grandchildren.  I don't know whether its the last 2 years I spent with a 4 year old or just my soft spot for the kiddos...but either way it just tears my heart to pieces.  One of the older teachers who was killed was a Pi Phi at Connecticut.  If any of my college friends that still read this and would like to donate to a scholarship fund in her memory you may do so here.  

As many bad things that happen in this world and as many mean and cruel-hearted people roam the earth, there are twice, maybe even three times as many good ones out there.  The good, compassionate ones just rarely make the news...unfortunately.  I was inspired by Ann Curry's advice to "Pay it Forward."  She has challenged America, and the world, to pay random acts of kindness forward.  I don't tweet, but there has been an overwhelming amount of response from her two hashtags:  #20Acts and #26Acts.  Together, they have been tweeted about over 65,000 times.  And it's not just Twitter!  Facebook and Pinterest are getting in on the action as well as Instagram.

www.nbcnews.com/26Acts

Found this that someone tweeted.  
Imagine if everyone in the world would pay it forward-just once a day?  Whether it be a monetary donation, an item of some sort, buying someone's lunch, or simply a hug...I believe the world would be a much better place.  Kindness is contagious.
You don't have to be christian or republican or democrat or black or white or blue or northern or southern or French or Australian....because it doesn't matter.  Kindness comes from every corner of the world, all walks of life.  

Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.  

2 Corinthians 13:11  Finally, brothers, rejoice.  Aim for restoration, comfort one another, agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.  

So I challenge you....pay it forward! You never know whose day you will brighten...or life you could change.  All with one, simple random act of kindness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment