Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Marché des Batignolles

This morning I went and did one of my favorite Parisian pastimes, marché-ing.  (Yes, not only did I just turn that into a verb, but an English verb at that.)  One of my favorite things about Saturday mornings is a marché, and I don't do it as much as I ought to.  Just 4 bus stops down from me every Saturday morning is the Marché Biologique des Batignolles.  The bio markets are much more expensive, but the quality of the products is significantly better.  Think...the difference between Kroger and Whole Foods or Fresh Market. I'm working on composing a blog post of different markets around Paris, comparing the prices and products and quality....hopefully I'll get that done before I leave!  

I could barely get through the aisles for the amount of those stupid buggy/cart things all the Parisians carry around.  I suppose they are handy if you have one, but if you don't they are just a real bother.  People were buying fresh stinky cheese, sea salt that looked as if they scooped it out of the ocean yesterday, weird vegetables I had never seen before, live lobsters, and homemade breads that were so picture perfect...you couldn't pass without having one.  I bought a few lovely tomatoes, a small brioche and some fresh green beans for the whopping price of 13 euros, but the market experience and juiciness of the tomatoes makes up for that by a long shot.  People were leaving with carts full to the brim with fresh produce, meats, and fish and I couldn't help but wonder how much money they just spent.  If my measly bag was 13 euros...I couldn't imagine.  Wish I could afford to come every Saturday, but until then, I'll have to go to other markets a little further or rely on the always convenient and of lesser quality, Monoprix.  

My friends are slowly starting to trickle back into town, one by one, and we are gearing up for our farewell to Taylor!  He leaves Wednesday! (Feels like he just got here a few weeks ago...)  Keep glancing at the forecast to see when the rain will stop....feels like forever....

No comments:

Post a Comment