Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy Poisson d'Avril!

I love Poisson d'Avril...it might be one of my favorite French holidays.  It's the same as April Fools Day, but it just sounds more fun....literally translated as "April Fish."  In France and Italy (the only two I know for sure) a fish is placed on someone's back and the tagger announces "Poisson d'Avril!"  Last year Marie-Césare walked around for hours at school with a fish on her back until I came to pick her up and picked it off.  She quickly turned around and tagged someone else.  The origins of the fish are unknown, from what I can find, but many believe it originates from the zodiac sign, Pisces, which is around the month of April.  

My favorite thing about the holiday?  The plethora of patisseries and boulangeries that swim along with the holiday as well, bringing their creativity to surface with fish shaped treats, pastries, and bread.



No comments:

Post a Comment