Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Rugby? Men? Stade de France.

This weekend was pretty uneventful as I was feeling a bit under the weather, because of the dramatic change in weather...so it was cut short unfortunately.  Saturday morning we passed on our traditional pain au chocolat and gave an English bakery in the 9th a try.  Rose Bakery, located on rue des Martyrs just a hop, skip, and a jump from Marie-Césare's school on rue Clauzel.  Rue des Martyrs was buzzing about with young families doing the shopping, running errands, and even a few families taking a pause for the small carrousel at the top of the street.  It's no wonder this super bobo English bakery has done so well in the heart of the bobo district of Paris.  

We walked in the door and everything did seem familiar.  It was the first place that Didou took Marie-Césare and me one Wednesday after I first arrived.  I remember eating a very pricey yet mediocre omelette.  Their display was piled high with fresh salads, stacks of scones, and ginormous squares of cheesecake brownies that were to die for.  (At 7.50 euros a pop I'd say Rozy ought to have enjoyed every single bite...)   I wasn't feeling very well so I opted for a cranberry, orange, and maple syrup scone.  It came with dollop of rhubarb jam and a generous hunk of beurre.  


Orange, cranberry, and maple syrup scones.
Rozy's scrumptious cheesecake brownie.
I couldn't find an official website, but if you are looking for English treats and a generous sized latte (be prepared to pay for it) this is a place you need to try out.  Brunch is served Saturdays from 10 onwards, and they are closed for dinner.  We left around 11:30 and the line was already out the door so I can safely say the earlier, the better!  

 That afternoon we went out to Saint-Denis to catch one of the last rugby matches of the season.  Paris was playing Toulouse, which doesn't mean anything to me....but I thought I could see some handsome men and learn a thing or two about rugby...so what was there to lose?  The RER trains were packed full.  I have never been on such a crammed RER.  People were already drunk and getting fired up for the game.  It was like the grove at Ole Miss, packed into a rail car.  Can you imagine?  

Paris' colors are pink.  Yes, their official team color is bright pink.  In years past, Kenzo has been a chosen designer of their uniforms, and this year whoever designed it decided that pink leopard print should be the winner.  Yikes.  A lightning bolt is their symbol with accents of blue.  

The stadium is huge...you can see it for miles.  It was finished in 1998 and cost 290 million euros to build.  It was built for the 1998 FIFA World Cup, and can seat up to 80,000 people.  It is the 8th largest stadium in Europe.  The first match played was between France and Spain, with an attendance of 78, 368.  The largest attendance the stadium has seen for a sporting event?  80,832 for the France Final Cup in May of 2009.   


Opening ceremonies...bagpipes?
The roof of the stadium is a marvel in itself.  It was designed to make the space look larger, and weighs over 13,000 tons.  It covers the spectators, without taking away from the playing field.  The way the stadium is designed...you can easily find your seats and there aren't many stairs to climb.  There are many entrances all the way around, which is the hardest part to find gate A or gate X!  But once you've found your gate...a couple of stairs and you're basically at your seat.  No wandering up and down ramps for hours trying to figure your way around.  In fact, its designed so that 80,000 spectators can exit the stadium in event of an emergency in less than 15 minutes.  Sounds crazy, but I would completely believe it.  

It lacks a little bit to the naked eye.  I know, we, as Americans go above and beyond with our sports arenas and stadiums.  There are only 2 big screens in the arena, and they are certainly not as high-def as the one at Ole Miss.  They were added in 2006, and are currently the largest screens located in any European stadium.  This fact blew my mind.  There were certain Ole Miss and Titans football games where I would simply just watch the screen.  And in such a huge space?? Its hard to see the players.  

The seats are minimal, very small with no arm rests or cup holders.  (Yes, I have been to many stadiums with cup holders...)  There's no soap in the bathrooms and you certainly can't buy Corky's BBQ Nachos.  There isn't a flower bed on the side of the field with flowers, and neatly trimmed shrubbery like at Ole Miss.  There were, however, a few people parading around in dresses and high heels which made me feel right at home.  


Pink?  I just don't get it.  
I ended up leaving early since I wasn't feeling well, but Laura assured me that we did not win.  Oh-I didn't even tell you the best part!  We were at the ticket counter waiting in line to buy our tickets and a man came up and offered us 3 tickets.  He came with a group and three of his mates didn't show up so we got in for free!  (Which is why I didn't feel so guilty about leaving early...)  Love it when things like that happen!  My favorite thing about the rugby match?  All the cute men in the stadium.  Not just playing....but the innocent bystanders.  Yes, very typical of me to say as a woman, but....I speak the truth!  

I babysat Saturday night and spent the entirety of Sunday in the bed.  Sleeping, taking meds, and wishing my earache away.  Feel a bit better today, and am hoping tomorrow will be even better.  Am rather glad I got sick and will be over it before HANNAH comes next Wednesday!!! Woohoo!!!!  Am hoping for warm weather and lots of sunshine!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment