Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Beautiful day in Paris!

The color of the sky today in Paris was INCREDIBLE.  I haven't seen a more beautiful day in Paris thus far.  Luckily, I got to go to church this morning and be thankful for the beautiful weather.  I actually knew a few faces from last time which is a good feeling, and one of Ashleigh's friends who is always so welcoming was there as well.  The service was MUCH easier to sit through this time...and the songs easier to sing!  I could actually listen to the sermon in French and only occasionally revert back to the English interpreter.  I could understand the inside jokes!  Wahoo!!! The speaker was from Quebec, so he had a bit of an accent...but for me it was easier to understand.  The "church," which is actually a theater was packed and people standing in the back.  It's very inspiring to attend a church in another language.  It makes me feel small and realize that there are SO many people in this world.  I most of all reflect on my surroundings, and am so thankful for friends that bring me to these places, that I have this incredible opportunity to be here in Paris...for a year!  Sometimes in the "daily grind" I forget how lucky I truly am.  

Ashleigh went home that afternoon and I met up with a couple of new girls.  Cathie was from South Africa, and Kerry from the UK.  Both super sweet bubbly girls who were ready to explore anything and everything today.  Cathie has been here a month, and Kerry only a week.  They visited Notre Dame before I met them at the Arc de Triomphe.  We walked under and were going to go up...but the stairs plus the money to get to the top were discouraging.  Plus, I had forgotten my camera today and that's something I want to do when I have my good lens!  So all photos today are on the Iphone....they are okay, but not perfect!  




Kerry in the middle and Cathie on the left.  And me wearing my hair as if it were a scarf.  


I wanted to go back up to Montmartre today, it was close, and my friends were in...so that's where we headed next.  They don't have their metro passes yet, so we took the stairs to avoid yet one more ticket that they have to pay for to use the furniculaire.  I certainly know how expensive metro tickets are after using them the past 2 months.  

Montmartre and the Sacre-Coeur were absolutely stunning with the sky so blue.  


  
You could see the city for miles with the air so clear!!! So much better than the snowy day I was there last.  



And this really good musician on the steps of the Sacre-Coeur who had gathered quite the crowd!!!


Kerry had not been to the Sacre-Coeur yet, so we went in to let her have a look around.  Cathie knew of this great place for gelato (Italian, I know), so we headed back towards the main square to find it.  Along the way we got crepes..nutella and banana again for me.  




And after, gelato.  Fraise and framboises.  C'est delicieux!  We felt it was warm enough today to justify having something cold.   


Stopped back by the gorgeous view one last time and passed by an incredible view of the Eiffel Tower.  I was literally kicking myself for not having my camera.  I guess the wonderful thing about living here is I can come back anytime I want with a beautiful sunset!  




My friends saying hello!  



Stopped at "Les murs des je t'aime" on the way back where "I love you" is written in over 300 languages.


English...

French...(sorry kinda cut off the je)


And for my mom....


GREAT day spent with really good friends!! Some of whom I already knew, and new friends who I am getting to know!  It is days like today that I am grateful that I have this opportunity.  Off to do some homework before class tomorrow...I have been a procrastinator this weekend!  Maybe ice skating at Hotel de Ville with Ashleigh and another new friend tomorrow after school?  Hopefully!  

No comments:

Post a Comment