Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bonne week-end.

Saturday morning.  Quiet metro.  4 girls headed out to catch the sales.  

Okay, so no....we didn't go to Dior, LV, Prada, or Swarovski.  Even the things on sale in those stores we can't afford.  We went to a few small boutiques first, then headed to Forum Les Halles to several stores in a central location.  I guess the closest thing Paris has to a mall.  H & M, Mango, New Look, Starbucks, Bershka, and of course....Zara were on our list.  Found a few cute things....the best luck at H & M and Zara.  There were SO many people everywhere!! It was like Black Friday in the States.  Of course, I like the things that AREN'T on sale, and that are new for summer.  Typical me.  


The mandated government "sale" goes on until February 12th.  It's hard for me to imagine that its this crowded every day but people say it is.  I saw this really fabulous French version of a snuggie.  It is horribly covered in pink and white polka dots.  But only 5 euros-who wouldn't want that lovely piece of flannel?


After shopping and Starbucks, we were wandering around trying to find something to do.  It was a pretty day so I suggested Jardin du Luxembourg...it was free, nice weather, and none of the other girls had seen it.   

Kerry, Cathie, Angelika, and me!


We stumbled upon one of two of the Statue of Liberty's in Paris there.  It's pretty tiny and was quite a let down for us all...but then again, the real thing was kind of a let down for me too.  And this one I didn't have to ride a boat for an hour across the river with 1000 sweaty, nervous, photo-taking Asian people!  And yes, being American, I DID take my photo here.  


We strolled out of there over to Pont des Arts to see the bridge with the locks of love.  It was pretty neat..and some people really thought ahead on their visit to Paris and got their locks engraved.  Names, dates, locations-everything!  After lovers hang their locks on this bridge they throw their keys into the Seine...never to be found again!  






Omphile joined us for a little while.  She was one of the first girls I met here and was glad to see her again!  We walked across the bridge over to the plaza at the Louvre.  Kerry had never seen the pyramids or anything and her enthusiasm about everything was so refreshing!  




As I was on my way home, I received a text from both Ashleigh and Laura saying that they were going to eat Mexican and then go bowling.  I only assumed with the same group of people.  I was tired, grungy, and had two shopping bags with me...but I said yes because I never turn down an opportunity to meet with friends, and they were meeting in 30 minutes so sucked it up and just carried the bags with me because I hardly had time to run them home.   Popped in a McDonald's bathroom to refresh myself and make sure I looked presentable.  We met outside metro Pont Neuf and once everyone gathered we walked to the restaurant.

Pont Neuf


It was actually very good...better than I expected in Paris!  I ordered chicken nachos with a margarita.  I knew most of the girls at the table except for one girl whom I later found out was from Tyler, Texas.  Very close neighbors to my dear friend Laura!

We hopped back on the metro and went to Rue Mouffetard to the bowling "alley."  There were only 5 lanes and it was going to be an hour and a half wait...so we just decided to go elsewhere.  We went to a place called The Fifth Bar which was too tiny for our big group of people, then walked down into Saint Germain to The Long Hop.  We grabbed some tables outside which were nice and roomy.  It didn't start getting cold until around 11, so we moved inside.

When I got home and took off my shoes my whole leg ached.  I had worn my comfy Merrell's, but I guess even 15 hours of comfy shoes can begin to wear on your feet.  My shins were pounding so much it took 20 minutes to go to sleep!! ha...

This morning I really wanted to go to church, but promised Marie-Cesare that I would go to lunch and a movie with her, Franck, and Gaspard today and there just wasn't time to do both.  They picked me up at noon and we went to a little American diner type place near the Musee d'Orsay.  When Marie-Cesare got out of the car I could tell she had been dressed by her dad today.  Jeans, some pair of shoes she never wears, two mis-matching socks, a long ill-fitting t-shirt, and a gap sweatshirt.  Somewhere in her hair was a barrette, but definitely not serving its purpose.  Eating out had been in their cards for every meal as well as lots of movies this weekend.  ha!  For brunch I ordered eggs benedict with hashbrowns and fresh oj.  The menu was in English and it was refreshing to see French's mustard and Heinz ketchup on the table.  I almost swiped the mustard....truly, I wanted to.  Marie-Cesare is a different child when her father is in charge, and I love it.  Franck asked me if I had been to the Jardin du Luxembourg and I told him yes, several times...in fact-just yesterday.  He laughed as we got in the car to head back there.  It was a BEAUTIFUL day here.  Sunny, 50 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.  The playground at the park was absolutely packed with families.  Gaspard went to another area to play soccer with some friends and I sat on a bench with Franck.  Marie-Cesare went straight to the sand as expected!  As we were sitting there I recognized one of the little girls on the other side.  I looked a little closer and it was one of the girls in Marie-Cesare's art class.   I took Marie-Cesare by the hand and took her to her friend.  They were so excited to see each other and Franck was impressed that I knew her friends...all the way across Paris at that!



It was very surreal because yesterday I was sitting, watching all the French families play in the park...and then today, I was one of those French families playing in the park.  Very cool.  

After the park we went to a small, hole-in-the-wall theater to what Franck thought was a Marx Brothers film.  We found our seats, finished eating our ice-cream, and settled in.  The movie began and it was definitely not Harpo Marx.  The first scene was a glittery stage full of gold and feather costumes.  It was the 1958 movie "Party Girl."  Quickly realizing that the film was in English and there was no animation, Marie-Cesare curled up in my lap to take a nap.  Franck looked at me and I looked at him, he asked if this film was okay and I said sure....but Gaspard was really the only person he should have asked.  I could tell about halfway through he was getting pretty bored but there was no turning back.  My legs and arms were asleep for most of the time, but it was a pretty good movie.  I always enjoy reading the French subtitles to see how everything translates.

Was glad to come back to my apartment....alone!  I enjoyed dinner by myself and Skyping with all of my parents tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Maggie, time for a new post! It's Wednesday here, and your followers are eagerly awaiting your next installment. I'm still wondering if you got to go ice skating at la Tour d'Eiffel? And if so, I'm definitely hoping there was a camera involved.

    I hope your silence is an indication of hard work and good things getting in the way of your posting. We miss hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete