Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Dead French Royalty


I'm sure y'all (yes, y'all is still used in my daily vocabulary) are tired of me throwing so much information out on the weekends and having boring weekdays, but that's the way it is!! Yesterday, we had planned to go to Saint-Ouen Flea Markets "Marché aux Puces" and spend the afternoon.  It was so cold I honestly debated about going, but piled on the layers and forced myself out.  When I picture flea markets, I picture old furniture, books, vintage clothes, old dishes and "fun finds."  This was pretty much exactly the opposite.  It was in quite a sketchy area and I was very glad I had 4 good friends with me.  I felt like I had stepped out onto the streets of New York.  Knock-off clothes and bags, hip-hop music, sneakers, and every booth having the same thing! It was so strange.  Much to our surprise, we kept on walking and found amidst the "I heart Paris" t-shirts and fake New York Yankee jackets a building that housed some more typical flea market items.  Most fairly expensive as it has become more of a "chic" flea market over the years.  Kerry, Ashleigh, and I found some really charismatic old postcards from the early 1900's.  Old photographs of Paris in black and white with sweet messages on the back.  


Kerry-I thought you would enjoy this.  


Ashleigh, and Charlotte, and I


After browsing, we made our way to a nearby café for a quick cup of chocolat chaud to warm our toes.  Since we were in the suburbs, finding a metro was nearly impossible.  We walked for what felt like forever....and as soon as we saw the recognizable "M" we all leaped for joy.  We also passed a gas station on the way!  The first gas station I've seen since I left home.  In the city, their petrol stations are just where you pull in on the ground floor, and somebody fills you up.  In my neighborhood there is always a line to get gas.  


Since we had a little time, and we were already up north anyway, we decided to go to Basilique Saint-Denis which houses the royal necropolis of the kings of France.  It was absolutely beautiful and the architecture was stunning.  All but 3 French monarchs are buried here from the 10th century to 1789.  Some were not initially buried here,  and most tombs during the French Revolution were opened by workers obeying orders from officials, the bodies thrown into a large pit nearby, and dissolved using lime.  




Marie Antoinette and King Louis XVI were not initially buried here, but the memorial is.  





Kerry, Charlotte, and I went to Galeries Lafayette to confirm Kerry's haircut, and had some dinner.  I told Chloé I would babysit so I headed over to Rue Fontaine.  I was going to be keeping Marie-Césare and her friend Raphael, while Chloé and Franck had a dinner party.  At their house.  With 2 three year olds.  Really?  I wasn't sure how this was going to work out, so I just went with it.  It was fine at first, then they got bored of her toys and they wanted to play in the den.  They were told to stay in either Marie-Césare's room or the parents room.  We went back and forth a hundred times just trying to keep them occupied.  Can you really tell a three year old to mind Maggie when mom is in the next room?  I don't think so.  If there was a problem, we would solve it all together, then Marie-Césare would say, "I need to tell my mom."  That may stem from her being SUCH a mama's baby but I'm sure Chloé was annoyed.  At 11:30 I put in a movie hoping they would calm down.  No, it worked for about 15 minutes.  After last night I know EXACTLY why I didn't choose a family with young boys.  Pinching, hitting, fighting, car noises, horse noises, things blowing up noises, and just general rowdiness.    

  
When 1:00 am rolled around I was relieved when everyone was leaving.  The kids still weren't asleep and didn't even act tired.  I was exhausted.  ha!  Caught a taxi home with Sabrine and Laurent which was convenient!  

This morning,  a big group of us met at an American diner for brunch.  I was halfway through my meal when I realized I hadn't taken a picture for the blog!  I felt it was an important moment!  Yes, that is an omelette with cheddar cheese-yum, it was delicious.  


Michelle, me, Ashleigh, and Kerry


The Panthéon was right around the corner so while we were there we figured...why not?!  Talk about incredible.  Unfortunately, my camera battery died so only could take pictures from my phone.  The size of the columns and vast height of the ceiling and dome was amazing.  Completed around 1790, with the first burial in 1791, it was finished at the very beginning stages of the French Revolution.  The pendulum in the center put together by Foucault demonstrates the rotation of the earth.  


Many notable French people lie here in the crypt such as Marie and Pierre Curie, Joan of Arc, Victor Hugo,  and Alexandre Dumas.  







The girls wanted to see the Musée d'Orsay and Ashleigh and I had already been but its free to get in so....why not?  We sat and chatted while the other girls explored.  Enjoyed the people watching-one of my favorite things to do in Paris!  

Saw a lot of monuments and memorials of the dead French royalty this weekend...but thats alright with me.  I met some new friends along the way which I always enjoy and is much appreciated.  And I love that everyone is from somewhere different!  Germany, Norway, South Africa, England, Australia, another girl from the US, we are quite a diverse crowd!! We all seem to get along really well, and are already planning our excursion for next weekend!!





No comments:

Post a Comment