Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Modern....Art?!

Okay, so I am not an artist by any means, and I don't have the write to judge or criticize anyone's work from a serious standpoint....but, today I saw some of the most bizarre "artwork" that I have ever witnessed. Ashleigh and I met at 2 pm outside metro Rambuteau.  Just as you pop up out of the metro there is a very large, very strange looking building.  Also known in Paris as the Beaubourg.  


Which of course is where we are going!  Outside there is the large concrete area called Place Georges Pompdiou.  In the summer I am sure there are many people performing...dancing, playing instruments, mimes, jugglers, etc.  But today there was only one girl playing a long horn thing and a man doing caricatures.  The line wasn't very long to our surprise and we only waited about 15 minutes.  The museum was free (yay!) for those of us who are under 26 so we grabbed our ticket and headed inside.  There are rotating special exhibits for 9 euros, but we decided just to stick with the basic museum for today.  Usually I do a little bit of research before heading to museums but I didn't this time...unfortunately.  I didn't really know what I was in for!  I didn't realize that it was The National Museum of Modern Art here.  Also at the Centre Pompidou is an internet cafe, cinema, public library, and restaurant.  

It has very large gallery spaces, and everything was written in English as well as French which I always appreciate.  The first few rooms we went in were quite strange and had films and photos, paintings and sculptures.  As time went on, we began to move a little more quickly throughout the museum.  Many...if not all of the pieces I wondered...who decided that this should be art?  Like this..to me its just painted red and brown boards leaned up against the wall.


Monet, Van Gogh, Renoir...I can appreciate those beautiful paintings.  There is history, life, and feeling behind those paintings.  This?  I'm just not sure.


Looks like something you could pick up at Ikea.  




Is there some sort of committee that says, "Okay, this piece can be considered art."  


I know that modern art is more appreciated for the feeling, thoughts, and emotion surrounding the piece. Or the message it sends you.  I really really tried to keep an open mind.  But a giant, plastic, foot just makes me think of smelly feet and awkward toes.  





???


As I was taking the picture below, Ashleigh was reading the plaque on the wall with the name of the piece.  "What's the name?" I asked.  "The big blue sponge," she replied.  We both rolled with laughter.



Don't mean to offend any quirky artists out there....to each his own!!!  Towards the end, we found ourselves strolling down the main corridors bypassing a few rooms.  This definitely wasn't one of my most favorite things I've done, but am glad I went, experienced, and tried to reflect.  It was extremely interesting to say the least.  And unlike anything I've ever seen before!  Maybe I'll come back again in a few months and compare my points of view.

Since it was another nice day (50 degrees) we walked around for several hours.  Found a really neat vintage clothing store in Le Marais and stumbled upon this hidden jewel of a church.  L'Eglise Saint-Merry.


Meeting Ashleigh for church again tomorrow then possibly going to meet some other new friends at Chateau de Vincennes for the afternoon?  Depends on the weather-it's been raining a lot and is suppose to rain again tomorrow so no guarantees!  

No comments:

Post a Comment