Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

French Formalities.

Yesterday I had all my paperwork ready for my medical appointment and had double checked everything probably 15 times.  This appointment was for my titre de séjour so I can leave and re-enter the country...and stay here longer than 3 months.  I had my overnight bag with me because I was planning on spending the night at Chloé and Franck's.  My appointment was at 1:30 and I had to stop by the La Poste and make a copy of Franck's passport beforehand, which I needed to prove that I am in fact, their au pair.  Planned on it taking about 5 minutes, when I got there about 5 people were in line.  20 minutes later, I raced out of there to the metro.  I guess I was flustered and in a hurry and I got on the right metro but going the wrong way.  Typical.  It took me 3 stops to actually realize that I was going the wrong direction.  At this point, I had 15 minutes to cross Paris on the metro and walk to the building.  And who knew my destination was going to be such a hike from the metro?! Ugh.  Not me.  


I was practically sweating from running to make it on time, and because I had my ginormous bag with me instead of just my purse.  The line was like a herd of cattle waiting for the gate to open.  I jumped to the back of the herd and waited to be pushed through the door.  At the door was a checkpoint to see if you had your "convocation" letter, then I proceeded upstairs to the next checkpoint.  This one was to see if you had your passport.  The lady quickly shuffled us all along in French to a waiting room about the size of my apartment where we were to wait until our name was called.  

I waited about 15 minutes and Madame "Philpeaux" was called.  There was no "pot" and it took me a second and another call to realize it was me.  I got up and followed the woman to a small office.  She asked me for some of my paperwork, we conversed a little and then was directed into another waiting room to wait for the doctor's to call my name.  


In the US, doctor's fax pages and pages of paperwork to each other.  They keep files and files of information on each patient from 20 years ago and heaven forbid if you have to switch to a new doctor.  Here, you bring your "carnet de santé" with you every time you visit the doctor.  There is no faxing and emailing...and if you don't bring it with you-tough luck.  As people struggled with not having the correct paperwork, I was called in to have my height, weight, eyes, and blood checked.  It all happened so fast I'm not sure exactly what happened.  I was able to answer in French and I think the doctor's were glad to have a bubbly personality in the office for the afternoon.  Everyone else was so solemn and gloomy...and of course I go everywhere with a smile and here it seems to help out my situation!  

After all that hoopla I was shoved into a small room with a door on the other side.  The doctor mumbled something about taking my clothes off including my jewelry and putting my hair up into a ponytail.  I only assumed this was the x-ray portion of my exam.  The French are very open about being undressed and I assume its no big deal for them to run around naked in a doctor's office.  Not so normal for an American.  We try to keep things as modest as possible.  I hadn't even gotten all my jewelry off before the other doctor opened the door on the other side.  I quickly stripped and ran after her not wanting to make her angry as she seemed a little testy.  She grabbed my shoulders and shoved me against this giant machine.  My arms followed and my head placed a certain way.  I took a deep breath and counted to 5.  She practically pushed me back into my changing room.  

I waited yet again to be called in to see another doctor to have my blood pressure checked, review my x-ray, and be questioned about previous health issues.  Luckily, I had the copy of my shots or else I'm not sure I could have translated so well.  I was really proud of myself for understanding everything and at least attempting to speak in complete sentences.  And that I was in excellent health of course.  I went back in to see the lady about the paperwork after I had received all the signatures I needed.  If they were worried about me bringing some sort of disease into this country...don't you think I would have given it to them by now?  She stuck my titre de séjour in my passport as I smiled with excitement.  Turns out I was one of the last people in the door and the first person out!  Organization and having the correct paperwork really is the key here!  One day French administration will learn..........

Marie-Césare was in quite the mood.  She had this little guy with her.  


Isn't he funny?  She made it at school and they have been growing his "hair" for about a week.  She wanted to style it when we got home and put in a barrette but I told her that probably wasn't a good idea.  Marie-Césare has been asking me to spend the night for about 3 weeks now, so I thought that Tuesday night was good because I had to be there so early on Wednesday.  Chloé agreed.  We played a little and I got to experience bedtime like mommy does it, which was good.  She is actually very strict and only reads one story.  After Marie-Césare and Gaspard went to bed Chloé and I turned on the tv.  Franck was working on the computer and Skyping with some business partners so we didn't see him much.  It was nice to just hang out with them, and although Chloé was tired from speaking English all day, she made it a point to try and talk with me most of the night.  

Around 4:30 this morning I hear...."Je n'ai pas brossé les dents!" Over and over and over.  She had eaten a piece of a baguette right before bed and didn't brush her teeth afterwards.  She said she had a dream that a cavity was coming to get her in her sleep.  That must one heck of a mean cavity.  That's one thing about spending the night there is that I sleep on the couch.  And when I say sleep, I mean dozing off one hour at a time.  Between bad dreams and bathroom trips by the entire family it makes my lonely apartment seem like a dream.  

Am off for the afternoon because Padi and Didou are coming to take them until 5.  Probably taking a nap and a really hot shower.  It is raining here yet again...so nothing fun outside for sure!  



1 comment:

  1. "Philpeaux".... haha I love it! Remember when we had Audrey convinced that the t was silent in Philpot??

    ReplyDelete