Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Wandering Weekends...

Things have been very uneventful since New Years weekend, which I am thankful for.  My internet has been dodgy, so I leave you with a few photos of my week/weekend wandering around Paris.  

Speculators are weighing in on whether or not we will have a great flood of 2012...its due to happen every 80 years.  
It's the highest I've ever seen the Seine since I've lived here...but I certainly could live without another great flood in my life.  

Taylor and I ran across this pharmacie in the 16th the other day.  Not only can you go in and get what you need, but if they are closed you can use their handy pharmaceutical vending machine.  Shampoo, denture paste, condoms, earplugs, electric toothbrush, and anti-lice meds are all on the menu.  They are a little more expensive than they would be inside, but if you need razor...then have no fear, you can get a razor.  


Taylor making his choice.  
I love all my German/Austrian friends past and present, but I don't understand their need to always carry around a full on pencil case.  I haven't carried a pencil case since I was in the 5th grade.  You can always count on them to have a pen or pencil at your disposal, but please return it, so the next person can borrow one.  

One of the better finds this weekend:  A wander through Poilâne in the 15th.  Poilâne is one of the most famous names in bread.  In all of their locations, Poilâne produces about 20,000 loaves of bread each day, with many being shipped across the world.  The original location is in the Latin Quarter, but we stumbled across this second location on Boulevard de Grenelle.  

La Tour Eiffel made out of bread...yes please!  
Such a sweet carrousel. Its bread too!  
Now is the time for Kings Cakes/Galettes des Rois.  They are everywhere in boulangeries, supermarkets, there is even a frozen version in Picard.  I prefer the almond ones, versus marzipan...I can't get around the texture and bland taste of marzipan.  They are much different than the Kings Cakes we find in the States, Taylor even thinks they are better back home.  (That's because they are basically a giant sugary green, yellow, and purple donut.)  I prefer the ones here, especially the galette Didou whips up.  Mmmm.....


Marie-Césare had one at school on Thursday with her classmates and of course...she won the ceramic trinket on the inside.  She always wins, even at school!  

No comments:

Post a Comment