Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Monday, November 15, 2010

Learning.

Today was my first day with Marie-Cesare.  I was nervous from the get-go, because she really only says please, thank you, and you're welcome in English.  I unsuccessfully spent the morning trying to acquire a Carte Imagine'Air...the yearly student metro pass.  I went to 5 different metro stations and none of them had the right paperwork I needed to fill out!  What is the point in offering the card if you can't sell it?! 
I then unsuccessfully went to every bank on every corner in Courcelles, and none of them can exchange currency.  Fortunately there is one more bank that was closed today so I'll give it a go in the morning.  I did however manage to go to the nearest Monoprix (scaled down Super Target) and get some milk, cereal (Cheerios!), funny shaped tomatoes, and eggs.  I stopped in the boulangerie on the way home and picked up a baguette.  Oh. my. gosh. C'est delicieux!! I have never tasted bread like this before...so crunchy crispy on the outside and warm and chewy on the inside.  Perfectly golden brown and handed to me as if I were going to just eat the whole thing on my way home.  


Took a picture of the building across my street.  All of these are taken with my phone, I hope to get my camera out tomorrow and take some quality shots!


I have to go to the OFII in the morning to fill out some paperwork.  Maybe go see if I can find my school.  I will go on the 22nd to see what level classes I will be placed in.  

My afternoon with Marie-Cesare was....very interesting!  I arrived about 30 minutes early to her school (to give me enough time if I got lost to get reacquainted with the area) so I walked around the corner and sat on a park bench to wait.  It is about 50 degrees outside...not hot by any means, but not cold either.  I couldn't help but notice that EVERYONE has on winter coats, scarves, gloves, hats, and boots.  It's hilarious.  Around 4:25 I walk back around the corner to the school, and there are about 50 nannies/au pairs/grandparents there to pick up their preschooler. I look around for anybody who speaks English or looks like they're from the US, just to make a friend. Nobody.  
So, I pick Marie-Cesare up from class number 2, and we very quietly walk back to their flat.  I learn more from her I think than she does from me.  She knows that I'm there to help teach her English, but being 3, she isn't as willing to learn as Gaspard.  I have to integrate ways for her to learn words through books and playing, instead of just speaking.  That is of course, when I can understand what she's asking me.  Gaspard is at his mother's this week, which is too bad because he may have helped me out a little.  
We played dolls, colored, play-doh, and read beaucoup de livre!  Then bathtime and dinner.  Some frozen meatballs Chloe asked me to cook and Coquillette, and egg based pasta. 

Chloe got home around 7:30 and Marie-Cesare went crazy!  She had been really good all afternoon and then when her mother walked in she was all over the place!  Learned how to work their dishwasher, where to put the dirty clothes, and not to forget the lotion after every bath!  
Wednesday evening we are going to some museum opening and meeting Chloe, I didn't get many details...but she said she would explain more in depth tomorrow.  

Climbed back up my flight of stairs tonight....I hope that no one can hear how out of breath I am when I reach the top of the winding stairway. ha!!! I imagine there will be some days when I think its just easier to sleep at the bottom!  

No comments:

Post a Comment