Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Friday, November 19, 2010

Under The Weather.

I am feeling a bit under the weather today.  I think I caught a cold from probably one of the billions of germs I pick up every day in the city.  Didn't want to stay in my apartment all day today...mostly for fear of boredom.  So, I set out on my mission (again):  to find a copy machine.  After going to 3 different "La Poste" locations in my area, I finally found one that had one!  It was the most archaic copy machine I have ever seen.  Not only did you have to put in EXACTLY .10 euros for each page, but you had to wait at least an entire minute for the page to come out.  I had to make about 10 copies so you can imagine how long I was there.  Then, I had to figure out how to tell the woman that I needed to send it by registered post with confirmation that it was received.  HA. It was hilarious.  About 20 minutes later and 3 different La Poste employees, I got it in an envelope and sent to the correct address...hopefully! 

 It was my paperwork to be sent to the French office of the OFII, so that they can confirm my residence permit, visa, and arrival information.  You have to send it within your first few days of arrival so they can call you back (a month later) for a medical exam, welcome meeting, and so that I can get the numbers of all the other au pairs in my area.  SUCCESS!! So glad I got it done, the bank account, cell phone, and Carte Imagine'Air can wait but I needed to get that done this week!! 

The air in the city was dirty today, and smelled awful.  Some days I don't notice the pollution or noise and others it smells like a dump.  Luckily, my apartment is on the inside terrace of our building so I don't hear city sounds like most do.  I had no idea where I was when I ended up at my 4th La Poste location, I just decided to wander a little bit. Ended up at Place des Ternes.  Ternes is a metro stop on Line 2, but there is a beautiful area in the middle that has 3 or 4 different flower shops.  Every flower you could imagine!  


On down the street I passed a Jenny Craig store and started laughing!  Today while I was in Monoprix I also noticed that they have Weight Watchers items.  I don't know why I find this so funny, it just seems weird to me that people in Paris would eat this stuff.  Or that such American diets have made their way onto the sidewalks of Paris.


Had to go to Monoprix to pick up some things as well.  I have only been in to buy a few things at a time, so this time I took my list and the shopping bag that Chloe gave me.  It seems like a lot when you're paying for it, but when I got home I felt like I hadn't bought a thing!  Stopped at the boulangerie on the way home and bought a loaf of brioche.  Mixed tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, salt, pepper and olive oil together.  Turned on the eye of my stove and....the power went out!  Called Sabrine and she didn't answer.  Waited for about 45 minutes then I guess she realized I called and flipped the switch in her apartment.  Toasted the brioche with lots of butter in my saute pan and topped it with my tomato mixture.  Yummy!  


The tomatoes weren't exactly in season, but the mozzarella and brioche were to die for!  Thinking about doing something touristy tomorrow...maybe Jardin du Luxembourg?  Hopefully I'll feel better after resting today.  Planning to watch Shrek on my computer tonight for a few laughs and a little bit of home!  



No comments:

Post a Comment