Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

You are going to laugh!

First of all...Happy Thanksgiving!!! I love and miss you all, and am so thankful for all the wonderful and encouraging people God has put in my life.  I am so blessed to have my huge, wonderful, yet crazy family and I wouldn't be where I am without you! :) 

My lunch today was really a lot of fun!! First off, we met on the platform of a metro station because it was the easiest place we could figure out to meet.  She's from Charlotte, NC and an au pair just outside Paris in the suburbs.  She had the address of the place we were suppose to be going to, and headed out to find it with our trusty maps.  About 10 minutes later, we walk up to the address, and its a really random building that looks like it use to be a restaurant...but now with cobwebs and dust all over the place.  Soooo either she wrote down the wrong address, or the announcement was from a few years ago-ha!  We weren't too bummed since it was about the company, not the food.  We kept walking around, I knew the area pretty well since we were in the 9th.  She didn't want to go anywhere too expensive, I wanted to go somewhere American, and I didn't have a ton of time to spend whiling the way at a cafe all afternoon...soooo guess where we ended up?  

HA.  That's right.  McDonald's.  

I haven't eaten at McDonald's in at least a year...maybe 2.  At least not that I can recall.  And after today, I definitely remember why.  Although they do have some interesting things on their menus that we don't have in the US.  For you that haven't traveled to a European McDo I'll elaborate.  They have a Croque McDo, which is a play on the Croque Monsieur...just a toasted ham and cheese sandwich.  They also have a an herbed ciabatta burger, pistachio milkshake, and lemon tartelettes.  And you don't get unlimited ketchup either.  We had to share a table with a couple of people but we didn't mind because they couldn't understand us anyway!  We talked about everything...it was really fun!  We are hopefully going to get together again over the next couple of weeks to do something touristy.  

After lunch, I headed down to pick Marie-Cesare up from school.  It began to rain so I took cover under a closed restaurant awning while I opened my umbrella.  And then.... it started to hail.  It was pretty small, but definitely noticeable.  


It is suppose to snow over the next few days, but wasn't expecting this sleet/rain/hail combination today!! I have learned to always carry my gloves and umbrella with me so this isn't a daily issue. 

 Once I picked her up from school we headed to the doctor.  She was very excited and glad to go!  I was nervous because it was our first outing together (besides the park of course).  We went to the metro and I haven't received my metro pass yet so I am still using tickets.  Marie-Cesare gets to ride free because she is under 4.  I put my ticket in the machine expecting both of us to roll through at the same time.  Nope. She wiggles her way through and I don't.  Figures.  So I have to use yet another ticket and hold up the line of very angry and hurried Frenchmen behind me.  Our ride was very good!  I had taken a book from her room without her knowing so at one point in time she was getting a little hyper so I pulled out the book.... instant distraction!  

The doctor was very nice, but I can't see why she was so excited to go?  There were no lollipops or stickers or toys.  The walls were white and it was very quiet.  Anywho, we got the prescription for the meds (which only cost 2 euros I might add) and headed home.  I learned my lesson this time and picked her up and carried her through the ticket carousel.  

On the way home I stopped to gaze at some of the shop windows.  Then my eyes fell upon this crazy item.  Now, I know that Mont Blanc pens are very very expensive...and there are some that are MUCH more expensive than this....but I cannot imagine paying 440 euros for a pen.  If I were going to pay that much for a pen, it better have a global locator, automatic refills, and serve me breakfast in bed.  My 10 cent Bic works just fine.  


That's just one of those things that I probably can never justify spending money on? Especially since I lose at least one pen every day.  

Again, Happy Turkey Day to everybody!! It was hard to be without you all but I'm glad I got to Skype with some of you!  I love you all very very much...and hope your full of lots of good food.




No comments:

Post a Comment