Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ohhh the tourists...

If any of you have ever traveled with me, you know that I hate tourists.  I hate huge crowds and fighting people to get where I am going.  I HATED the Statue of Liberty because there were a bazillion people trying to get there on one boat.  Today was one of those days that I had to fight the tourists.  

I woke up to map out the plan of where I was going today.  Since I was pretty much crossing Paris from one side to the other, I decided this was a good idea.  I switched metro lines 3 times (a first for me) and got off at what was a very crowded intersection.  Across the street was a Starbucks, a McDonald's, and a Pizza Hut so I knew this going to be a long day.  I ventured down the side streets a little bit and found a cafe and ordered un suedois avec brie et un salade des fruits a partir (to go).  Learned a new word today!  Suedois means Swedish.  It's a Swedish bread similar to flatbread, but with the slightest sweetness in taste.  


It was a kind of brie that I had never had before...but it was delicious!! There were also toasted walnuts, lettuce, tomatoes, and a delicious vinaigrette.  I took the sandwich and headed down the narrow alley to the Jardin du Luxembourg.  After feeling my way around the park I found a great chair and sat down to have my lunch.  

I am sure that these gardens are much prettier in the Spring and Summer, but it was a fun thing to do to relax and enjoy the beautiful day!  It was chilly, but I sat in the sun so it felt much warmer.  





There were kids racing sailboats in the fountain, French lovers making out on the park benches, families trying to take Christmas card photos, and many many Chinese people trying to go wherever they could, as fast as they could get there... with camera in hand.  

Luckily I took my book, The Alchemist, thanks to Melanie Gecowets and Alona's suggestion and read for a couple of hours (or tried to anyway...I always get sidetracked people-watching).  I got up to explore the park a little more, then went on to wander around the streets of Paris.  Stumbled upon the entrance to the Senat, which is actually around the other side of the Palais du Luxembourg and the Senat does meet in the Palace.  


I will definitely return to the Jardin du Luxembourg for there is so much I didn't see.  I will however, return in the Spring when there are pretty flowers and everything is green!  
Went down another side street and found myself back where I began,  onto the crowded and bustling tourist area.  Another block and I found myself in front of a creperie! Of course, it must be fate!  I attempt to order a crepe with nutella and bananas.  I get so nervous when I order things or have to speak to people and actually use my French.  I don't know why, because I can certainly can...I guess I'm just not 'practiced' enough.  


I walked around the corner, took a bite and couldn't help but smile.  It was much better than the ones we attempted to make in Mrs. Thompson's French 2 class.  I felt like it was official or something, I'm in Paris.  

Passed this chocolate shop window and had to take a picture of this adorable display.  It is all carved out of chocolate... I loved the bees!  

Finished my crepe and headed down to the nearest metro.  It had this beautiful tile detail on the ceiling!! There were all kinds of photographers set up taking pictures.  





I know there are so many details in todays blog and if you all EVER get tired of so many details please tell me.  Most of you tell me that you enjoy the details and its almost like you were here, which I think is the point!  I wish all of you were here to experience this with me...and I only hope that I can share as much as possible!  
Does anyone know how to insert symbols on my text in my blog?  I have been trying to insert accents and things for my French words but can't figure out how?! Help!  

Skyping with both mom and dad tonight.  Bought the most recent episode of Parenthood on Itunes so I can catch up!  Feeling a little better today but still not 100%.  No plans for tomorrow...yet! Any suggestions?! 

Oh yes, almost forgot....my second view of the Eiffel Tower! I'll get over there eventually!! 



2 comments:

  1. Wow Maggie, don't leave out details. This is Rebecca Miele, I don't know if it will allow me to comment or not. Erica and I spent two nights in Paris with Mrs. Thompson and Mrs. Cheatwood in 2006. We spent two nights in Provence before we left France and went to Spain.I am loving your blogs and living vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for deets!! thats what make the posts so fabulous :) AND your awesome pics! AND all your delicious food! AND you of course lol

    ReplyDelete