Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Monday, November 22, 2010

Parlez-Vous Francais?

I went to take my placement test at the France Langue today.  When I arrived it was again 400 degrees so I took a seat and immediately took off my scarf, gloves, and coat.  The test was short, only about 4 pages.  There were a couple of other girls in the same room I was in and I actually held an intelligible conversation in French with them!  I then took my test to the information desk where I waited about an hour.  There were probably 30 people taking this same test, and 2...I repeat 2 people grading and placing students.  RIDICULOUS.  Good thing I arrived much earlier than I was suppose to because I wouldn't have been finished in time to pick up Marie-Cesare!  I learned that I was in the intermediate class.  From the way I've been speaking with Marie-Cesare you would think I should be in the beginner's class...but, suppose not!  I can't wait to begin classes so I can refresh my memory on everything and begin learning more...en francais! 

Stopped in to buy some pasta salad for lunch and found this little guy on the wrapping.  I have never seen such..."fourchette."  Yes, I know that is the French word for fork.  But this one's different!  Its a little fork no longer than my index finger with a handle that folds out.  How clever.  


I also bought une tarte aux frambroises for Gaspard, Marie-Cesare and myself to share.  


C'est delicieux!  Things were much more fun today with Gaspard there.  Although, with that fun came a few more fights, more dinner to cook, and definitely more words said.  But, he helps me and I help him.  He is such a sweet kid...and was telling me about Spiderman and Batman, etc.  I told him I have never seen Star Wars and I thought he was going to shoot through the roof!!! It was funny.  He finished his homework and played his Wii while I tried to entertain Marie-Cesare so she wouldn't bother him.  We went to the park for a few minutes after school, but it was so cold we didn't stay long.  This is a rather bad picture, but that is the "playground" near their house.  


It is very small too, and when everyone from her school goes there after school to play on that one slide...things can get pretty hectic.  The next one is her room, and all her purses and babies and her huge chest FULL of toys.  


On the way home tonight in Courcelles, I noticed they had turned on the Christmas lights! They have been up ever since I got here, but I guess today was the day they begin to shine.  


Decided lunch on Thursday with the other American girl is going to be at a place in the 9th arrondissement that is having their version of a "Thanksgiving dinner."  We shall see.  I'll be missing all of my family of course, but I can't wait to share with you all about it!
Bonsoir!









2 comments:

  1. Les framboises sont tres belles. S'il vous plait, no more photos of things that delicieux! I am gaining weight just reading your posts and drooling over the photos.

    I'm not sure I understand what your living situation is; can you explain a bit about that? And how far are you from the children's home?

    And apparently you are feeling better today; hope so. Your days sound pretty busy and planned out, even when you are not with the children. Of course, there's always the tourist thing (which you hate) but doing that in cold weather is not so much fun. But you could get some great photos of dreary Paris!

    I am so proud of your adventure. Thank you for doing this (for us) and sharing it so openly. I'm going to think about you very hard on Thanksgiving day, sending you warm 'family' thoughts. (And I'll try to do it about 5-6 hours ahead of our time....). Happy Turkey day, Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most au pairs live with the family, but since they didn't have an extra room we had to look elsewhere. I am living in the 17th arrondissement, its about a 10 minute metro ride to their arrondissement, the 9th. I live in their best friends "chambre de bonne" near Courcelles....and my family lives near Montmartre. They use to live here and just moved to the new area a couple of months ago. There were no "chambre de bonnes" available in Montmartre at the time, but things seem to be going okay here.

    I actually am living in my own place...shower, kitchenette, etc. And it feels more like I am living in Paris as a student versus spending all my time with the family. Which sometimes is nice because I can come and go as I please, sometimes it makes things difficult like tomorrow when I have to be there so early! I eat dinner most of the time at their house, and they give me extra to buy what I need for breakfast and lunch! I can get to their house, my house, and my school on the same metro line and that has worked out wonderfully!

    Thanks for the thoughts! :) Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete