Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas in the south of France? Check.

Christmas in France…certainly different, but good in its own way.  When Chloe and Franck arrived last night, things were a whirlwind of activity.  The kitchen was bustling and the giggles of Marie-Cesare could be heard throughout the house.  She put on her new black dress Franck bought her, and danced about like a princess.  We talked about Papa Noel, played Provencal Christmas carols, and I learned how to prepare cardons for our Christmas Eve meal. 

After our appetizers of cheese, saucisson de taureaux, pistachios, and crostini we all gathered around the table for dinner.  Everyone went to change clothes…and of course I quickly followed suit with a new sweater and jewelry.  Our first course was scallops and parmesan risotto, cooked perfectly.  I assumed that would be the meal, but no….just first course.  Next came some Provencal meat torte that was the bomb.  It had chicken and pork, fresh herbs and garlic, onions, etc.  Topped off with a homemade crust that was buttery, flaky, and flawlessly crisp.  Accompanying the torte was a cardon casserole.  Looks like celery, tastes a little bit like an artichoke.  I have never seen anything like it before.  Mix it in a casserole dish with homemade béchamel and cheese, top it with breadcrumbs and butter-magnificent.  Next was salad…afterwards, about 10 different cheeses that Franck and I bought at the fromagerie yesterday.  We had all kinds from Brie with truffles to Roquefort to Rocamadour to Laguiole.  After cheese came dessert.  It’s a Provencal tradition to have 13 desserts at your table, so that’s what we had.  Now…don’t be alarmed because I’m sure you’re thinking 13 pies, cakes, etc.  We had fresh fruit, nuts, nougat, caramels, dried figs, calisson (a special Provencal cookie), chocolate almond bark, gummy bears (for Marie-Cesare), fougasse du sucre, 2 kinds of jellied fruit from the area, glace au chocolat, and chocolates we bought in Arles. 

All of this accompanied by a different wine that Padi brought from his cellar in Versailles for each course.  It was amazing…but I could barely waddle away from the table to go to bed I was so full.  We didn’t start eating until around 9, and finished around midnight.  Marie-Cesare fell asleep on the couch around 10, she couldn’t wait for Pere Noel much longer.  We put the presents under the tree and went immediately to bed.  No cookies and milk for Pere Noel…he must be much skinnier than Santa Clause.  And no carrots for Rudolph and the team or stockings for Santa to fill. 

Woke up this morning around 6 to a very elated 3 year old girl yelling, “Regarde, maman…regarde, papa!”  It was so cute.  Before I could even turn around we were already finished.  I didn’t even get a chance to take any pictures!  There were so many presents.  Not as many that are usually under our tree at home, but still quite a bit for such a small family.  Most were for Marie-Cesare of course, and her favorite gift?  A pink and purple tulle dancing skirt given by yours truly with a matching purple headband.  She also got a horse stable with lots of horses and people figurines, books, coloring books, a remote controlled horse, a couple of games, new clothes, etc.  Lots of fun new things for us to play with in the afternoons! 


Borrowed this video from Chloe and Franck..






Breakfast was simple, bread and confiture like always..but soon after the kitchen was a hub of activity preparing for lunch.  I sat down to a HUGE plate of oysters.  Okay, I mentioned that I like oysters last week at some point in time, but I don’t love them.  It was Franck’s only request for Christmas, and no one else likes them, so I had to share with him of course.  I ate maybe 8 or 9 and gave the rest to Franck.  It has to be one of those things I am in the mood for, and although they were delicious and fresh…just wasn’t on my list of things to eat today.  After oysters I was presented with a plate of foie gras.  Now again, I probably wouldn’t choose this…but when in France, do as the French, right?  It was pretty darn good I’ll have to say.  So rich, but smooth and creamy.  Put the sauce Didou bought at the market in St. Remy on top and its makes for quite the second course. 

For the main event we had chapon (poultry), roasted new potatoes and artichokes, and fresh bread.  Oh man, it was my favorite by far.  So simple and cooked only with salt, pepper, fresh herbs de Provence, and olive oil but yet so flavorful.  Padi brought a Bordeaux from 1986 to accompany this meal.  Usually I would choose a white wine with poultry, but this was a perfect choice.  It. was. incredible.  I haven’t had a bottle of wine that was older than me before!  He had acquired it from his father’s wine cellar when his father died a few years ago.  It was dry with a strong oak flavor.  A tree of macarons for dessert.  Didn’t finish until 4.  I hope we are not eating again today because I honestly don’t think I can eat another thing.  I thought we ate a lot around Christmas?  The French know how to do it big. 

Everyone tumbled into their respective beds and I walked outside to telephone my family.  Surprised to find out that Lawrenceburg had a teeny bit of a white Christmas, and that most all of my family was awake! 

After everyone woke up from their sieste, we played Marie-Cesare’s new games and had chocolat chaud and the cupcakes we made this week.  Laid around a little while longer just reading, talking, and watching Marie-Cesare.  Had only salad with bread and cheese for dinner…thank goodness.  I could barely eat that.  However, I did save room for the Reese Christmas tree mom sent me in my package, they’re my favorite! 

Although there were no stockings hung by the fire, no cookies and milk for santa, no partridge in a pear tree, and no jingle bells…I still had a wonderful Christmas.  I am so thankful that I have fit right in with the Lachaize family, and so so so grateful to them that they have been so welcoming and include me in everything as if I am just another member of the family. 

Got several text messages today from people whom I love very very much and was so glad to know they were thinking about me!  Everyone has told me that there are so many people reading my blog from home.  I am glad to hear that everyone is really enjoying it, and honestly, it gives me motivation to go out and try new things and eat different foods.  So, thanks for reading friends and family…I hope you have had a very Merry Christmas with your families!! Joyeux Noel!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment